Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help!! TBI to TPI Swap NO START!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro sc vert.
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: soon to be 3.73
Help!! TBI to TPI Swap NO START!!!

Hello all.I just finished a TBI to TPI repin swap.The car is an 88 Camaro sc Vert.Was an LO3 car,but I swapped a 355 in it years ago.I decided to go SD TPI using the repin article from this site.I have done everything by the book,and have been researching this problem and going over everything I changed for about a solid week.I swapped in a 88 350 tpi setup.
Here is the problems I found so far: The car has a low/weak injector pulse with a Noid light,and weak spark with a spark tester.When you first crank it over,there is very little light from the noid light,and the spark tester.Usually after about 5-10 sec.of cranking the pulse/spark gets stronger and sometimes will fire but not often.It has only started once for about 5-10 seconds,mostly just fires and stops,or hisses back through the TB.
I originally thought I had a ground problem,so I ran temp.ground wires from the engine to the chassis to the computer,system gnd ect.Didn't help.I also replaced the pickup coil,module,dist.cap,rotor,plugs wires,Iac,knock sensor,and coil (all AC Delco).I burnt a chip using a factory AUJP memcal,and only switched the vss mag off,and unchecked the Vats using TunerCat/Burn1.
There is also a hi pitched buzzing coming from around the distributor at times and it makes the tach go crazy.
The motor has kicked back while starting twice in two days,and broke the ring gear in my gear reduction starter both times(luck for me my good friend is a rebuilder).

BTW this car was a good running driving car 2 weeks ago before the swap.

Sorry for the rant,but I am exhausted looking for the problem.I have also worn out the search button trying NOT to make a new Help thread.
Thanks in advance,any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Chris
Old 07-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro sc vert.
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: soon to be 3.73
Disregard!!! Wound up being fouled spark plugs.Runs like a top!!!