Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

camaro muffler and engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 camaro/ '89 gmc s15 lower'd.
Engine: 305tbi 5.0 & 4.3v6 soon to be 350.
Transmission: 5spd manual/camaro.. auto/s15
camaro muffler and engine

whats up everyone, this is my first post here i go on the camaroz28.com forums and just found this site.

have a quick question...

My '88 camaro (305 tbi 5spd) has never been running yet by me except for a few turnover attempts. (was garaged/sitting for almost 10 years till i got it. 74k original miles, car is mint. i know it RAN beatiful before storeing because i remember the car when i was younger), but for now i have a fuel problem that i'm working on. last time i heard this car run was almost 10 ago so i don't even remember what the stock muffler/exhaust sounds like, any where i could hear a sound clip of a stock, andlor one with stock exhaust but an aftermarket muffler? (flowmaster, magna flow etc etc) all i can find are 305tpi and 350tpis but with ALOT of exhaust mods, never heard any lightly modded 305 tbi or tpi exhausts...

can't wait to get this fuel problem fixed so i can fire this baby up for the first time anyone have any tips on what precautions to take for running a car thats been sitting so long? i know she turns over, first time i changed the batter, sprayed some starter fluid and turned the key. i had her running for a split second then it died. and thats all i ever get out if it so i assume its a fuel issue.

thanks

Mike

Last edited by MiZZiE; 06-06-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Car: Red 1987 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.45
I hope that you put lots of fresh fuel in it, ten years is a long time to sit. New plugs, Dist. Cap/Rotor, and wires, motor oil and filter etc. I think that a squirt of oil in each cylinder before turning it over would have been smart.

I'd guess that your fuel filter is clogged. Fuel injector may be stuck closed too.

Expect the Engine to develop oil and coolant leaks over the first year or so driving it. Engines don't like to sit still for years at a time.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mnorton
I hope that you put lots of fresh fuel in it, ten years is a long time to sit. New plugs, Dist. Cap/Rotor, and wires, motor oil and filter etc. I think that a squirt of oil in each cylinder before turning it over would have been smart.

I'd guess that your fuel filter is clogged. Fuel injector may be stuck closed too.

Expect the Engine to develop oil and coolant leaks over the first year or so driving it. Engines don't like to sit still for years at a time.
thanks for the reply!
I should of imcluded that she was stored/sitting for 10 years but periodically started up and ran up untill about 5 years ago. when i turned it over it was just to see if she even still turned over, which to my surprize it did, i didn't run the motor for longer then a second (literally). i recently bought a new fuel filter which i plan to install- gas tank has been filled approx 3/4 tank with new mid grade gas.

i want to replace my oil with mobile 1 and change my filter and valve seals, is this a good idea, my motor has 74k on it. besides valve cover seals would the synthetic leak out at any other points? should i not switch to syntectics ?

once I change the oil/filter and fuel filter i plan to give it a few real cranks to try and get her going, hopefully she sputters to life.... otherwise i have more problems!

what are some other common precautions i should take with this motor even after/if i get it running, should i not attempt any high RPM driving (fast accelerating/passing, seeing if she can rip tires anymore, etc?) i'm scared i'm going to blow this motor the first time i try to get on it... anyone else had a car sitting for a while, what did you do to make her run good enough to get on it?

thanks and sorry for the long post!

mike
----------
also i put one bottle of lucas fuel treatment, this stuff any good and should it clear up some of the gunk thats got in there over the years and maybe (if they are?) unclog/unstuck my injectors

Last edited by MiZZiE; 06-06-2006 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-06-2006, 01:18 PM

If it were me, I'd put a good standard motor oil & filter in it, run it for a couple of weeks, drain it, and then put in the more expensive Mobile One.

The valve cover gaskets have got to be toast by now. I'd change them soon.

You should at least check the oil level in the rear end before driving it. I'd drain that oil too. If it's a posi-trac it will need a special additive in the oil, get that from GM.

The transmission fluid or syncro lube should be replaced at some point.

Bleed the brake fluid. Wait a week and then do it agian. You'll be surprised how nasty it will be the second time.

Grease all the steering joints.

Drain the radiator a few times to get all the rusty water out, than add anti-freeze.

The rear main seal may very well begin to leak from sitting for so long. The oil pan gasket may leak too, but I'd wait to see if they do before changing them.

Oh, and check the air pressure in the tires before driving it.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 PM

If it were me, I'd put a good standard motor oil & filter in it, run it for a couple of weeks, drain it, and then put in the more expensive Mobile One.

The valve cover gaskets have got to be toast by now. I'd change them soon.

You should at least check the oil level in the rear end before driving it. I'd drain that oil too. If it's a posi-trac it will need a special additive in the oil, get that from GM.

The transmission fluid or syncro lube should be replaced at some point.

Bleed the brake fluid. Wait a week and then do it agian. You'll be surprised how nasty it will be the second time.

Grease all the steering joints.

Drain the radiator a few times to get all the rusty water out, than add anti-freeze.

The rear main seal may very well begin to leak from sitting for so long. The oil pan gasket may leak too, but I'd wait to see if they do before changing them.

Oh, and check the air pressure in the tires before driving it.

thanks for the advice, very much appreciated!

lol i replaced all 4 tires (didn't trust the ones on it even though they looked good (i kept them for spares though since they were good thread) but i will make sure the pressures up there haha thanks

will update when i change oil/filter, and fuel filter and try to get it running.

thanks again,
-Mike

Last edited by MiZZiE; 06-06-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Probably want to get a new air filter too while your'e at it.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM

Probably want to get a new air filter too while your'e at it.

Good luck!
definetly,, i have a new regular generic brand filter in there now but i plan to get a K&N in there once shes up and running.

also- i have to ask this again cause it's my main concern

what are some other common precautions i should take with this motor even after/if i get it running, should i not attempt any high RPM driving for a while (fast accelerating/passing, seeing if she can rip tires anymore, etc?) i'm scared i'm going to blow this motor the first time i try to get on it.. or the first time i try and burn em up a little (in a responsible place of course ;-) ). anyone else had a car sitting for a while, what did you do to make her run good enough to get on it?

thanks again bro, big help!
very nice ride by the way.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Before I got it my car sat for 3 years and was never started during that time. Didn't leak a drop of oil the day I first started it, leaked lots of places 2K miles later. It needed all the things that we have talked about. Oh, and the oil pressure sending unit behind the distributor, drivers side, will probably leak at some point. Not very expensive, easy to change.

I put fresh oil in it, new plugs/dist/cap and wires checked the rear end oil, transmission lube, and coolant. Drove it gently for a hundred miles, and then pushed it almost to redline in 3 gears. I don't really ever do burn outs, (maybe once or twice) it's very hard on the car, and those Goodyear Eagles are $230+ EACH!

Basically, if you push it hard all the time, something will break....