Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Slight oil leak and low coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: Automatic w/OD (700R4)
Axle/Gears: Stock Axle 2.77 gears
Slight oil leak and low coolant

Hey guys, I had my car up on some ramps today because when I checked the oil and the coolant I noticed they were both a little low. My car is typically low on coolant weekly in its reservoir, but I do a 50/50 mix so I figured the car was just evaporating some water. There is never any coolant puddles or dripping coolant underneath, so I can probably safely say that the car is just evaporating the H2O I put in the mix due to heat. I checked the coolant when the car was cold and it was at the bottom of the reservior. Is there any place where coolant could be going outside the system where it wouldn't be seen?
The car has never been low on oil. It wasn't that low, but it was enough to make me curious. I went underneath the car to check things out and it seems that there is a slow drip of oil collecting at the base of my oil filter. It is slightly wet all up the oil filter and above it where it connects to the car. The leak however seems to be coming from above the area where the oil filter attaches to the car. Any suggestions on where the leak might be coming from? Is there a seal somewhere above the place where the oil filter attaches? I'm almost positive it isn't coming from the oil filter because the source seems to be above the place where the filter attaches. There was a light coating of wet looking oil beyond the filter on the undercarriage heading towards the rear of the car. Very light. I changed my own oil a month or so ago, but I made sure to tighten the filter hand tight and I put in exactly 5 qts of GM Goodwrench oil. I have been changing my own oil since I can remember and have never had any issues. Also, I ran the car a bit and checked for leaks and there were none. I do remember there being some seepage under there before the oil change, too. I have an 88 5.7L IROC. If anyone has experienced this, could you give me an idea on what could be wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. Thanks guys.
JCRULZ
Old 05-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
You're on the right trck.

Hopefully by hand tight, you wnet:

Until the gasket began to contact the boss, then hand tight another 1/2-3/4 of a turn.

Above the housing, you may also have a sending unit or a oil pressure bypass switch, either would be 1/8th NPT fittings, just somehting to look for a leak.

Coolant loss to me is more of a concern though, might me an intake leak, and reburning through the combustion. Could be a heater core leak that just luckily drips off on your hot exhasut and evaporates so it never touches the floor.

Ever have a "sweet smell" around the car? That would be a coolant leak.

A 50/50 mix should not evaporate at all.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:47 PM

My valve cover gasket has a small leak,the oil trickles down the block and ends up hanging from the filter.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Car: 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: Automatic w/OD (700R4)
Axle/Gears: Stock Axle 2.77 gears
Thanks guys, some things to check into. I didn't notice any leaking oil around my valve cover earlier, but I will make sure to check it a little more thoroughly. Just to let you know, my oil pressure gauge is fine too. I will mention the sending unit/bypass switch to my mechanic when I bring the ROC in for a checkup. When it comes to the coolant system, I have had quite a few issues in the past with my old GM fleet of vehicles. I have been keeping an eye out for puddles, leaks and for that ever so familiar sweet stench of good ol' ethylene glycol in the air. I have not seen or smelt anything yet, so that is why I haven't been as concerned. Is it common to leak antifreeze directly on the exhaust pipe so there is no trace of its existence? Also, if there was an intake/core leak, would I be able to smell it when it is leaking or burning up on the exhaust? Some one over on the IROCZONE site told me to make sure and check my radiator cap to see if it is still sealing alright and not allowing for air to get in or water to evaporate out. I appreciate anymore info you guys might have to offer about the situation, the more I know about the situation, the better chance I have of fixing it correctly without costing me an arm and/or a leg.