Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil leak turned retro roller project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
Originally Posted by Confuzed1

Replaced the rear main seal, discovered I had the wrong one in it before - but that's another issue...went to install my oil pan - I used one of the new molded one piece rubber oil pan seal made for stroker motors by Felpro......I wanted to use RTV sooo bad, but I resisted and used none like that instructions said. This sucker had better not leak..I'm skeptical - do these actually work?
Mine leaked.
I had to put some on the under side of the timing cover with RTV...
1 peice crush proof blue rubber/silicone felpro gasket.

My instructions said no sealer as well... under low speed it was fine, went for highway break in... my front axle was SOAKED (1983 GMC 4X full size) and I lost about 2 Qrts in 3 miles...

Luckily the engine sat just right where I could pull the pan with it still in the truck...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
running yet?
Actually - NO!! I've just had one h*ll of a time getting ANY aftermarket torque arm to fit this Moser rear end. First off. I bought a UMI arm that didn't fit, so I ordered a nice adjustable Jegster arm for 300 plus bucks, and guess what - it didn't fit either!! So I had 500 bucks worth of TQ arms that wouldn't fit!!

So -since the UMI arm came closer to fitting than the jegs arm, I spent most of the weekend grinding and filing to get the UMI arm to fit. So now - it's finally on! I'll have to return the other to Jegs. What a nightmare!!

-And thx for the input on the oil pan gasket V6sucker - Too bad I have the engine installed already, but since I'm using a nice cast aluminum timing cover on it, I'm hoping it'll seal at the lower corners. It does seem to fit tight, but I'll see....soon!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah.......should see it runnin tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak turned retro roller project!-100_0396.jpg  
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

IT"S ALIVE!!!!!

Got it running! When I first started it up, It took maybe 20 seconds, but oil pressure shot up to 50 PSI and it held there. The engine was making a horrible clacking/banging noise. I refused to believe it was the valvetrain - luckily it turned out to be the stupid transmission dust/flywheel cover hitting the flywheel again....it happened last time. So i took the cover off, and the noise disappeared. I only have one leak - and guess where that is....yep, right at the oil pan bolt that I had to replace with a allen head screw. It's a very small leak - I think the oil is making it's way around the washer on the allen head screw, so I cleaned it up with carb cleaner and RTV'd the thing. It was a small leak, I just happened to notice a drop of oil hanging from that bolt.

Even though this cam is bigger than the flat tappet cam I had in it before, the engine seems to run smoother. Sounds very healthy too!

Only one big problem - and I'm not a bit surprised. It's running pig rich at idle AGAIN. I had problems with it doing this before. I'm SO FED UP with this Demon carb I could just scream. It's pumping a whitish smoke from the exhaust at idle that smells like gas, and it'll burn your eyes if you stand too close. When I try to lean it down, the engine will die.

This carb has been a POS ever since I've gotten it. I take the thing off the intake, readjust the transfer slots on the primary/secondarys so the opening is .020 like Demon says, and it still idles rich. I think it's time for another carb. This Demon 650 is probably too small anyway. After my experience with Demon, a Holley 750 may be replacing it.

No real problems off idle. Matter of fact, it screams off idle!! The way it's digging in off the line now is amazing!! The aftermarket torque arm I just installed made a big difference! And I can tell the roller cam gave me some additional power - especially at WOT. It's a blast to drive!!

I plan to get it on a chassis dyno before the end of summer to see what I'm getting at the rear wheels....that will give me a better idea of what I'm really putting out.

Last edited by Confuzed1; 06-29-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna say your plugs looked like they were fuel fouled. Commonly caused by stuck or bad choke, ignition trouble, plugs firing to cold, or rich fuel mixture.

Love the motor though it looks great.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by fawien
I was gonna say your plugs looked like they were fuel fouled. Commonly caused by stuck or bad choke, ignition trouble, plugs firing to cold, or rich fuel mixture.

Love the motor though it looks great.
Thanks! - to lots of cheap chrome!

Yep - it was definatley running rich. -I just had some tuning done, and it's not smoking anymore! I was hoping for a smoother idle, but I chose the cam so I'll have to learn to live with it.

Finally got it to idle at around 950 though..it's a pretty radical idle .

The guy that tuned it seemed impressed with the power it has! Timing ended up at 21 BTDC static. I think the pointer might be off a few degrees though. The curve ended up making 38 degrees total in by 3000 rpms. Seems to like it there.

Just need to drive it more, check the gas mileage and read the plugs. I might have gotten 10 mpg before....it should do better now I hope.

Next: Cowl hood, paint, wheels and I'm done with it.....for a while.