Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My car started ticking on start up! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
My car started ticking on start up! Help!

Its ticking when I firs start it up, than after about 1min. or less it goes away. It just started doing this yesterday. I drove the car without a problem, and it did not tick after that initial start up. Its a lot more easily heard under the car, than it is up top. However that only in park. when I put it in drive it ticks a bit more, but like I said it goes away after the first minute. I am using the synthetic mobil one thats 5000 mile oil.
Should I change it with ATF in there a bit, or what would you recomend.

It sounds like lifter noise to me. Just one tick tick tick tick till it gets oil, but It would help if someone more experienced gave me some tips.

Thanks.

P.S. IS it safe to drive it like this??? There is no ticking whatsoever after that 1st minute, not even a minute.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700-R4
ATF? You're gonna put tranny fluid in your motor? Hopefully I'm reading that wrong but anyways.....

Are you sure that your oil is full? If so, maybe use a thicker oil to help a little although something obviously isn't quite right. It very well good be the lifters. Are you sure the ticking goes away after a minute or is it that you just can't hear it as well once you are driving? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem once where I thought it was the lifters and it turned out to be the flywheel bolts were a shade loose and ticking off the bellhousing so you may want to check that? How many miles are on your motor?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by waldershrek
ATF? You're gonna put tranny fluid in your motor? Hopefully I'm reading that wrong but anyways.....

Are you sure that your oil is full? If so, maybe use a thicker oil to help a little although something obviously isn't quite right. It very well good be the lifters. Are you sure the ticking goes away after a minute or is it that you just can't hear it as well once you are driving? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem once where I thought it was the lifters and it turned out to be the flywheel bolts were a shade loose and ticking off the bellhousing so you may want to check that? How many miles are on your motor?
People use atf all the time, it helps clean crud out. Like maybe crud in noisy lifters. The downside is the crud goes somewhere, and its rarely a good place for it.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:37 AM

ticking after start up

I had the EXACT problem, when car is "cold" first started, it ticked for about a minute or two until it got warm....later found out it was my OIL FILTER (Fram's suck!), got an AC Delco....PROBLEM SOLVED!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Car: 1988 iroc/2000 saab 9-5
Engine: 355 tpi/Roller cam
Transmission: 700r4/2800 stall,megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3;42
Id start with, how many miles on engine?
When did you start to put mobile one in.
Is oil pressure good on startup.
Is oil pump stock.
Also, you can pull the valve covers,and have a bud start the car,and pinpoint the noise if its in the top end.
Id phraze away from atf,or anything to clean up an engine.