Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

If you live in New Jersey - PLEASE READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: Chevrolet 355
Transmission: Borg Warner
If you live in New Jersey - PLEASE READ THIS

I am trying to legally drive my car again in NJ. I have not driven it since the new inspection system (loaded dyno test) was implemented in 2000 ish. I was able to sqeak by in Eatontown while that station was still doing the sniffer test before they figured out the icing problems. I need to get off my butt and get this thing running.

I need to decide on whether I can go with my 355 and try and get it to work with the CC Quadrajet for a good emission test, or if I need to go with another "less powerful" engine.

Specs on the 355

9.5:1 Forged TRW
4 bolt splayed mains
Ported 305 Heads (66cc)
Edelbrock 3702 cam
Edelbrock 3701 EGR Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box
Edelbrock Headers
3" Flowmaster System

Does anyone have their latest emissions results from a recent state inspection? I have a 1984 Trans Am with the LG4 (VIN H), so that is what my limits will be (I do not know what they are and no one can tell me).

Other years that are close and modified setups are welcome.

If you have the results, please post what your results were for HC, CO, and NOx. PLEASE INCLUDE WITH THE LIMITS ARE.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Car: 1988 Monte SS
Engine: ZZ4-cammed TPI 355
Transmission: World-Class T5
Do you drive the car daily? If not, when it comes time to register it, just register it as a collector vehicle. It's for vehicles less than 25 years old and driven under 3K miles a year. As long as you have a daily driver and can get collector insurance on the 'Bird, you'll be fine. Collector Vehicle = no emissions or safety inspection.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 AM

Steve -

I called Trenton about the QQ Plates.

Seems like if you apply and receive the Historic plates (25 years old), the car can "technically" only be driven to car shows and in "parades" for exibitional and educational crap.

Seems like a lot of hassle just to wait until 2009 for.

Thanks for relpy.

Paul
Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
That is less cam than some stock cams.

With a functional cat, and nothing just outright defective (cyl misfire or carb fuel bowl plugs leaking as examples), that SHOULD skate right through.

I'd suspect that your standards should be about the same as most all cars from around in that vintage; 1.2% CO and 220 ppm HC.

I've got more motor than that through California emissions.

"Collector" plates are too restrictive for a daily driver. Kind of a stupid idea just to dodge emissions testing, with a motor that there is no reason for it not to pass easily.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Well your best bet is a good tuneup, including spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, PCV, and O2 sensor. Look over your vacuum hoses for any vacuum leaks. Get ahold of a tachometer/dwell meter to adjust the mixture control solenoid. Adjust the mixture control solenoid per spec so that it has the proper adjustment range to compensate the air/fuel mixture to the correct readings. With a good cat on it, it should pass very cleanly.

https://www.thirdgen.org/quadrajet
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355
With a good cat on it, it should pass very cleanly.
Car originally came with the 3 way cat with the AIR tube.

Any suggestions on a good cat?

Should I use the one with the AIR tube and hook up the AIR system? or Should I use the cat without the air tube?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by cheppibear
Steve -

I called Trenton about the QQ Plates.

Seems like if you apply and receive the Historic plates (25 years old), the car can "technically" only be driven to car shows and in "parades" for exibitional and educational crap.
The Collector Registration is different than QQ's (Historic). Check this link out - New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Home

I have it on my '88 Monte SS - it's a triangle-shaped inspection sticker, and you keep your regular plates. No emissions or safety inspections to deal with, but I have the Cherokee to drive everyday. Sofakingdom is right tho, the cam you selected should get you through emissions.

I just figured your car wasn't a daily driver, considering in your original post you said it's been off the road since 2000 - that's six years!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Since the car came with a 3-way cat, put a 3-way cat back on it.

Since the car came with AIR, put the AIR back on it.

This is pretty easy and elementary here. It's just a car. Since it probably passed inspection easily when it was fully assembled and working right, a good first step would be to re-assemble its "accessories" like it came, and fix anything that's broken.

If you don't do the simple and logical things, it won't matter what size motor you put in there, you still might not be able to get it to pass.

Cat for your car

We're not talking about a whole lot of money here.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
The Collector Registration is different than QQ's (Historic). Check this link out - New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Home

I have it on my '88 Monte SS - it's a triangle-shaped inspection sticker, and you keep your regular plates. No emissions or safety inspections to deal with
So, when you apply for the collector vehicle status, and you go to DMV for the paperwork, they give you the registration and a "special sticker" indicating a Inspection Exempt status ? You then go to the inspection facility (can this be a private garage?) for an odometer reading?

Do you have to do this every year (odometer reading) ?

How long have you had it on your Monte Carlo? Do you renew registration every year, then just never go to inspection? If this is my ticket, then this is nice...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 IROCZ Camaro
Engine: 350 4bbl, 200cc Heads, 270hr Cam
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Trans-Go shift kit.
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt Posi
You COULD just go to a gas station or private mechanic and pay them $100 to "pass" your car. Thats what everyone I know has done, and that is what I will be doing.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarJunki17
You COULD just go to a gas station or private mechanic and pay them $100 to "pass" your car. Thats what everyone I know has done, and that is what I will be doing.
I have done that, and really do not want to do that anymore. My sources have dried up, and it just makes sense to not have to worry about what will happen if your source is not around in 2 years.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

pay them $100 to "pass" your car
OK..... break the law and risk whatever the punishment for bribery of a public official is in your state, and endanger someone else's living by getting them to break the law, and meanwhile risk anything that they might do in your state if they have roadside visual inspections like they do in some places; ..... or
Cat for your car
which, if you click on the link, you'll discover is $105?

Hmmmm.... this is a super-tough decision here...... I'm sofakingdom I can't figure out which way is better.... I hope the NJ guy is smarter than me..... can someone with more intelligence than me, please step in here and help me out with this?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Originally Posted by sofakingdom
OK..... break the law and risk whatever the punishment for bribery of a public official is in your state, and endanger someone else's living by getting them to break the law, and meanwhile risk anything that they might do in your state if they have roadside visual inspections like they do in some places; ..... orwhich, if you click on the link, you'll discover is $105?

Hmmmm.... this is a super-tough decision here...... I'm sofakingdom I can't figure out which way is better.... I hope the NJ guy is smarter than me..... can someone with more intelligence than me, please step in here and help me out with this?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Hmm, look at the first sentence of my Thread.

...drive the car legally in NJ.

So paying someone for a sticker is out of the question. Been there, done that, enough said.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991Firebird T/A
Engine: 350
Transmission: Modified Viper t-56
Axle/Gears: dana 44, 3.55
Put a cat on it... give it a tune up and go for it... unless they have a visual inspection, you can get that 355 to pass.. if need be, run it down to a 1/4 tank, toss a gallon of alchol in the tank, do some side to side sweeps to get it mixed up a bit - take it right to the emmisions place... no driving hard, leave the timing where it should be ect ect... i passed up here with no cats doing this - and it doesnt do anything to the fuel system - just make sure to fill up afterwards to dilute the extra alchol...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Originally Posted by sofakingdom
...Hmmmm.... this is a super-tough decision here...... I'm sofakingdom I can't figure out which way is better.... I hope the NJ guy is smarter than me..... can someone with more intelligence than me, please step in here and help me out with this?
Soda... keyboard... I'll be sending you the cleaning bill you son of a goat!!

From what I see, Mr. Dom is right... again. I wouldn't be too surprised if you squeeked by even without a cat, but it would be really close. I hated that damn test in MA. Glad I left.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: 373
collector status

that collector status fits my situation like a glove! whats the cost of insurence for that? do all companies offer it? like gieco? has anyone done that??
Old 04-24-2006, 03:15 PM

So, when you apply for the collector vehicle status, and you go to DMV for the paperwork, they give you the registration and a "special sticker" indicating a Inspection Exempt status ? You then go to the inspection facility (can this be a private garage?) for an odometer reading?

Do you have to do this every year (odometer reading) ?

How long have you had it on your Monte Carlo? Do you renew registration every year, then just never go to inspection? If this is my ticket, then this is nice...
You'll go to a DMV, fill out the paperwork, and get the new registration card along with a voucher card. It's an extra $25 to register the first time, because you pay for the sticker. Take the voucher card to a regular DMV inspection station, go in to the office, and tell them you have a Collector Car. They'll write down your mileage, and may ask you to drive around the lot to prove the odometer works. They will check it every two years, since (like regular stickers) the inspection is good for two years. I got it done June of '05, and the sticker is good through '07. As long as you don't put more than 6K miles on it in two years, it's fine.

And to rmchugh, every car is different, as is every insurance company. My Monte is insured through Hagerty, but I had to send pics and prove all the modifications made to the car. They told me they normally don't insure cars that "new", but will make exceptions. Your regular auto carrier may offer classic insurance, or "pleasure vehicle" status, so that it's cheaper than a regular daily driven car.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks Steve

I have NJM so I will give them a call to see whats up.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks Steve

I have NJM so I will give them a call to see whats up.
NJM is a great company, I've had them since I got my license in 1990. They have "pleasure vehicle" status (I used to have it on the Monte, before I went with a dedicated collector insurance co.) so it should save you a few bucks. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
I just got my '92 bird inspected on 3/31/06. Its a '91 so the numbers are probably stricter but here they are:

NOx = 879
HC = 117
CO%= 0.65

Here are my results(btw this was with stock thermostat stuck open)
NOx = 116
HC = 41
CO% = 0.01

Last edited by 91black5spd; 04-27-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the readings. Looks like you had a good day (CO was on the money !).
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the readings. Looks like you had a good day (CO was on the money !).
Whoops I made a mistake typing that in. I typed in the result from the wrong column. My reading was actually 0.01 I edited it to show the right numbers
----------
BTW I live in central NJ too, in Edison. The DMV I went to is the one in South Brunswick on Rte 130.

Last edited by 91black5spd; 04-27-2006 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 91black5spd
BTW I live in central NJ too, in Edison. The DMV I went to is the one in South Brunswick on Rte 130.
Yeah, unfortunately I try and stay away from there. They failed my truck last year for some minor rust. Believe that? Enough said...

Last edited by cheppibear; 04-27-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Check this out.

My 87 TBI truck has higher readings, guess I need a tune up and maybe a new cat (original pancake is still on with 175,000 miles). Also do not have AIR injection, but that should have little affect.

For comparison:

1987 305 TBI Truck
Standards
Nox 2490
HC 174
CO% 1.56

Actual Readings
Nox 1279
HC 122
CO% .46

Last edited by cheppibear; 04-27-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:27 PM

1987 305 TBI Truck
Standards
Nox 2490
HC 174
CO% 1.56

Actual Readings
Nox 1279
HC 122
CO% .46
Wow big difference in the NOx Standard in only 4 years. I didnt think there would be that much of a change in the standards.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
You'll go to a DMV, fill out the paperwork, and get the new registration card along with a voucher card. It's an extra $25 to register the first time, because you pay for the sticker. Take the voucher card to a regular DMV inspection station, go in to the office, and tell them you have a Collector Car. They'll write down your mileage, and may ask you to drive around the lot to prove the odometer works. They will check it every two years, since (like regular stickers) the inspection is good for two years. I got it done June of '05, and the sticker is good through '07. As long as you don't put more than 6K miles on it in two years, it's fine.

And to rmchugh, every car is different, as is every insurance company. My Monte is insured through Hagerty, but I had to send pics and prove all the modifications made to the car. They told me they normally don't insure cars that "new", but will make exceptions. Your regular auto carrier may offer classic insurance, or "pleasure vehicle" status, so that it's cheaper than a regular daily driven car.
From what I've seen there is actually kind of a loophole you can use about the insurance. Since collector insurance can be hard to obtain for certain people (specifically those under 25) I know of a few people who have registered as a collector car but simply kept their regular insurance. Apparently all you have to do is show the inspection station your insurance card - a lot of companies don't give out special insurance cards for collector or "pleasure" vehicles so the inspection station has no way of knowing.

Although the "rules" are that you need collector insurance to get collector registration as long as you have insurance it really doesn't matter. You technically are not breaking any laws whatsoever and the chances of a cop calling you on this (or even knowing about these rules to begin with) is very very very slim... Even then there is pretty much nothing they can do about it.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 91black5spd
Wow big difference in the NOx Standard in only 4 years. I didnt think there would be that much of a change in the standards.
Interesting is it not?

I know the motor is in a truck, but I think it is basically the same motor (less the AIR system).
Old 04-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 88IROC350TPI
From what I've seen there is actually kind of a loophole you can use about the insurance. Since collector insurance can be hard to obtain for certain people (specifically those under 25) I know of a few people who have registered as a collector car but simply kept their regular insurance. Apparently all you have to do is show the inspection station your insurance card - a lot of companies don't give out special insurance cards for collector or "pleasure" vehicles so the inspection station has no way of knowing.

Although the "rules" are that you need collector insurance to get collector registration as long as you have insurance it really doesn't matter. You technically are not breaking any laws whatsoever and the chances of a cop calling you on this (or even knowing about these rules to begin with) is very very very slim... Even then there is pretty much nothing they can do about it.
Good point when you think about it. I mean if you just had the regular insurance as a "pleasure" vehicle, you are probaby paying more for it anyway.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Anyone else with an LG4 motor of 1984 ish vintage run through NJ emissions lately? If so, post your numbers please.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
>Well your best bet is a good tuneup, including spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, PCV, and O2 sensor...
>put a 3-way cat back on it...
>put the AIR back on it...
>run it down to a 1/4 tank, toss a gallon of alchol in the tank...
>drive around the lot to prove the odometer works...
>They failed my truck last year for some minor rust...
or
Move to Alabama where if they can read your tag thru the exhaust smoke you are good to go.
Oh yeah, and if the rust isn't so bad that your tag is tumbling down the road behind you, it's fine.
Skynyrd rocks!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Re: If you live in New Jersey - PLEASE READ THIS

Bump - Updated from the great state of New Jersey.

Seems like you have to have a Model T to get Collector's now.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...ight=collector