Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

IAC is stepping continously when in 'paper clip' mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Chevy IROC
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
IAC is stepping continously when in 'paper clip' mode

Hi All,

I was working on getting my electric fans running again (89 Chevy TPI 5.7), and had the car in the paper clip mode, so I would be able to trouble shoot. Anyways I noticed (now that the noise from the fans was gone) the IAC motor was stepping continuously. This was obvious from the sound comming from the IAC. This doesnt seem to make much sense, especially with the engine off. Is this a caveat of the test mode or is this a sign I need to replace my IAC or another sensor? I did get the fans working, one of the connectors was dropping 5 volts accross it! Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 04-15-2006, 12:30 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
You are correct. The ECM will continue to phase/step the IAC toward the closed position when in Field Service Mode. Since the ECM has no direct feedback from the IAC, it just continues to step. If the engine were running, the distributor reference pulses (RPM) signal to the ECM would provide the necessary feedback to regulate the IAC.

Since it's bothing you, unplug it while you get the fans running. Or ignore it, now that you know it is normal.

The primary fan should energize based on the AC input or CTS input. If you unplug the AC high pressure switch with the ignition on, the fan should run. The secondary fan temperature switch is installed in the right cylinder head.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Chevy IROC
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks Vader, that answers it. I figured that made sense, that the ECM doesnt have the normal feedback loop as if the engine were running. I didnt think the engineers would set it up so that it runs continuously, but it makes sense that it doesnt hurt anything.

Thanks Again,
Martin