Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

A/C accumulator and liquid line Freezing! Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6 MPFI
Transmission: Beat to heck 700R4
A/C accumulator and liquid line Freezing! Normal?

I thought the orifice tube was right before the evaporator. Any particular reason why the accumulator and liquid line are so cold they have water condensing all over them? I could see if the orifice tube was on the condensor outlet but I think its up on the evap.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,310 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
I think you're confused as to which line is which.....

The accumulator should get cold. The suction line (large, return to the compressor, carries gas which absorbed pass cabin heat while it was in the evaporator) should also be cold. The liquid line (small line, carries high-pressure condensed Freon from the condenser to the evaporator) however should be slightly warm, but no more than a few degrees above ambient. The orifice tube is in the fitting where the liquid line hooks to the evaporator.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:49 AM

The accumulator should get cold. The suction line (large, return to the compressor, carries gas which absorbed pass cabin heat while it was in the evaporator) should also be cold. The liquid line (small line, carries high-pressure condensed Freon from the condenser to the evaporator) however should be slightly warm, but no more than a few degrees above ambient. The orifice tube is in the fitting where the liquid line hooks to the evaporator.
Your probably right (confused), lol. As long as the accumulator is supposed to get cold I think I'm OK. The line I called the "liquid line" that is getting cold enough to form condensation goes from the condensor to the accumulator. I don't think I have a problem based on what I've read.

Thanks for letting me know where the orifice tube is.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,310 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
from the condensor to the accumulator

There is no such line. ????

There's a medium-sized line from the compressor outlet port to the condenser coil (high-pressure, hot gas); a small line from the condenser to the evaporator coil (high-pressure, ambient temp liquid); the liquid passes through the orifice tube from high pressure to low pressure and evaporates, cooling itself; passes through the evaporator coil, absorbing heat from cabin air along the way; exits the evaporator and flows through the accumulator, while still somewhat cool; travels through the suction line from the accumulator to the compressor intake port.

At no point are the condenser and accumulator adjacent to each other in the flow. No line goes from one to the other.

But you're right, I don't think your A/C has a problem.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 400 SBC
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Is anything actually freezing over, or just sweating? Out there in South Florida expect to see a lot of condensation. That's just what happens in humid climates.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM

FIrst, it must be the suction tube. Its a largish line extending straight out from the accumulator towards the front of the engine compartment, it goes down and towards the front of the radiator (which is why I thought it was a line from the condensor to the accumulator.)

Its only sweating, its very cold, enough to form dripping condensation, but no frost (at least not yet).

I wonder if I could use some of that cold in the engine compartment (oil cooler or something?