Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

possible zz383 purchase. have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 346 ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: strange 12 bolt 3.73's
possible zz383 purchase. have questions.

ok so im getting a deal on a brand new zz383 from gm. first question is should i use the single plane intake manifold they use to achieve the 425hp/460lb tq? or should i go with another intake? people say that single planes are not very streetable. why? is it just because they dont make power under a certain rpm?

also i plan to after the warrenty is up doing a head and cam swap on it and i should be extremely close to 500hp. was thinking a cam with the same specs as a gm hot cam with 1.6 and then the etec 200 heads.

but basically its my daily driver which is no big deal. i just want to know why everyone hates single planes for the road?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Simply put, single plane intakes with a carb=no low torque. On the street, you spend the majority of the time in the low RPMs, which is where the single-planes dont make as much torque.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Phatfiddler
Simply put, single plane intakes with a carb=no low torque. On the street, you spend the majority of the time in the low RPMs, which is where the single-planes dont make as much torque.

Thats a very broad assumption. Partially right, but not really. The intake is only a portion of the engine package. All parts should be matched equally to provide the hp/tq properly and where you want it. If you are building an engine that will be seeing lots of High RPM action a single plane is perfect. If you are building a tq monster the dual plane is better. Its not the intake that necessarily affects the low end tq, its the build of the engine. If an engine is designed for High RPM go, it will naturally have less down low. Make up for it with stall and gears. There is nothing wrong with a single plane on the street, people have been doing it successfully for years. Just make sure the intake matches the rest of the package, and make sure the engine package matches your wants and needs.