Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Low RPM bog...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Low RPM bog...

So pretty much, this has been happening for awhile, but it has conditionally gotten worse.

Usually when I am at a stoplight and I am about to go, the car bogs down pretty bad, it feels as if not enough gas is flowing through which is causing the car to sort of simply put bog...When I was rounding a corner, I sort of mashed the pedal a bit (not floored but a jackrabbit take off) the car just stalled on the side of the road. No problems starting up though, it did it with no efforts.

And today I was turning onto a street and I cornered it pretty fast (I like doing that in my car) and I pressed the pedal a bit and the rpms just started going down again and it felt like again the car was being choked of gas but it didnt stall, the rpms went down, I pressed the pedal down further and it took off normally.

I am thinking the fuel filter is clogged, but honestly I am tired of guessing now. The things that have been done so far are

- Distributor cap and rotor
-spark plugs
-Throttle Position Sensor
-EGR valve/solenoid

Thats about it I think as far as the engine goes, my plug wires need to be replaced sometime soon but I won't worry about it now. I am just thinking the fuel filter is clogged (I don't think its ever been changed, and the car has 114k on the clock now)

Something in the fuel system is clogging something, I would've thought it was bad gas but apparently not. When the car is sitting at 800 rpm in the morning, its so smooth and drives perfect.

When its all nice and warmed up, the rpms sit at like 500 in gear, and some people will say thats fine, but thats very low for a V8 I think, and the car doesn't run smooth at all when its that low. I am going to advance the timing 2-4 degrees tomorrow morning so I can adjust the idle a bit. But I don't know if this will solve my bogging problem

Thanks again
Old 02-26-2006, 06:29 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
Probably a clogged filter or bad pump. When I had my 88 TBI IROC it liked to bog any time I would turn right hard and press the gas pedal with less than like half a tank of gas. You should probably change your filter first. If that doesn't solve it, check the pressure, then get a fuel pump if pressure is still bad.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
Change that filter! It's a likely suspect and it's bad for your pump. Plus it needs it anyway.

I had close to the same problem in my suburban. Turned out it had a 100k mile fuel filter. The damn thing was so plugged I COULD NOT blow through it! It ran worlds better after I changed that!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 AM

well again, its just a matter of guessing. I looked in the Haynes Manual under engine stalls and they say it could likely be a clogged filter.

I guess I'll change it when I get the chance....but I am just saying that I am hoping the car would run better or make a difference in idle and go power.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that on my last fill up I got 16 miles to the gallon, I usually got like 18 mpg, not that its the biggest difference in the world, I am just saying it all adds up in the end.

I dunno if I can suddenly get bad mileage or not, I wasn't driving hard at all, and even when I do, my absolute worst has been 17.5 mpg....

Just thought I'd throw that in there

EDIT 2: Also, the car puffs out blue smoke on start up, I know its the valve seals and I know its oil consumption or something like that. My friend are making a big deal about it, but I pretend to care and have a fit and I really don't I know what it takes to fix the car, I am just not looking forward to putting it out of commission for another 3-4 weeks cause I need to drive it. Is there's anything I can buy in the store that can reduce the blue smoke on start up. It's embarassing especially around a group of people (quite frankly it also gets on my nerves that my friends don't notice when it does start up with no smoke )

Is there any type of oil I can use? I understand its a common problem with these cars, but its deep engine work for me, and I am not sure how long it will take me to do this kinda stuff. I could spend a weekend or so doing it....it honestly doesn't bother me and I spoke to a few mechanics about it like when it started happening and they said "aside from the embarassment, I wouldn't worry about it" It only smokes when the car starts rough, when it starts smooth there's nothing...

Last edited by 91ChevyRS; 02-26-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:02 PM

anyone else