Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tick\knock in my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS TTops
Engine: V8 TBI
Transmission: th700-r4
tick\knock in my engine

the last few weeks ive had this tick in my engine it wasent bad to start with, it was really low you could only hear it when you were reving hte engine and at high RPMS, i did an oil change and in the last few days its gotten very very bad, you start the car you hear it, the more your rev it the louder and faster it gets, its constant. you can hear it inside my house. any ideas? its a mostly stock 305. and its about 1/4 of a quart over.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM

anyone? come on people here should be smart at this stuff lol
Old 02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I bought my parts car with a bad knock. It sounded exactly like some tiny person was inside hitting stuff with a hammer at a rapid but reg interval. It was loud enough that my neighbor came outside and wanted to know what all the hammering was about.

Just for grins, I used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and probed the valve cover bolts. I was able to tell which bank it was coming from, but that's abt all I could tell. Once I tore it down, it turned out to be a lower rod bearing. The crank was wasted. Luckily all I wanted was the block.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM

damn, well mine sounds like its comeing from the top of the engine and its still running\driveing prefectly. and after i let it warm up a bit it stops ticking\knocking so much and starts sqeeking a little
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM

ok now when its completly warmed up it squeeks raelly bad and sounds like something is rubbing. and then starts to chug. few things i think it might be (bent\broke rockerarm or loosened one, OIL PUMP!, maybe lifter?) any ideas?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
smog pump???

the other day while I was driving I heard a loud tapping sound, sounds just like a rocker got loose or something rattling around in the pass side valve cover.

Pulled the cover and everything looked good, started up the car and the valvetrain was moving perfectly but we still heard the knocking/tapping sound.

My smog pump has no lines attached to it, just using it as a pulley right now. I put my hand behind it and covered the hole and lo and behold, the tapping got really quiet.
So I need to remove the pump sometime since the noise bothers me and I don't want the pump to sieze on me and rip my belt up.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 AM

im in michigan, no smog pump :-\
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac T/A Vert
Engine: 350 TPI
I would pull off the valve covers to see if there are any loose rocker arms / bent pushrods. Since the noise goes away, It doesnt seem like it would be a lifter.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:00 PM

had the oil changed with Mobile 1, Put Silck 40 or w/e its called in it. its deffently comeing from the top half of the engine, now sure what yet. its ticking\knocking like a bitch now. and at low RPMS you can not hear it.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:57 PM

it was nice out today so i took off the drive side valve cover where the sound seems to be comeing from. well nothing was rong, the rocker arms were fine, the push rods looked fine and the springs looked fine nothing out the ordinary, i even started it and watched it run. i also readjusted them. where else could this be comeing from? the lifters? its a clicking noise, you can barley hear it at low rpms and its gets really loud and fast when you rev the engine, it deffently sounds like its comeing from the top of the engine. im gona try and get a recording of it. please, this is important, anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac T/A Vert
Engine: 350 TPI
If the lifter had collapsed (sp?) then it would have been a little loose in the rocker arm. If you adjusted them it would have adjusted for the smaller lifter. Got me on this one.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 82 firebird
Engine: 406
use a long screw driver and place the end above each cyl. while putting the handle between your jaw bone and ear lobe...this should tell you which cyl. is making the noise. then disconnect that spark plug wire and see if the noise goes away or quieter anyway...if it sounds better (the noise cause you will have a miss) and it is comming from the top end it most likly is a wrist pin... did you over rev the eng by chance ? good luck ... tao
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
An exhaust leak at the cyl head can sound a lot like a loud tick/knock. Mostly goes away at idle. Gets much louder under accelaration.
When they first start to leak; the leak is worse when cold. Then the manifolds heat up, expand, and help seal the leak. Doesn't explain the squeaking though.

Power steering pumps can make squeaking/knocking sounds. You could remove the belt and see if it goes away.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z/28
Engine: LU5 305 CFI
Axle/Gears: J65/G80/G92-3.23
I ran into the same thing.On Friday went for a drive came home shut the car off and I hear a light knock.Start her back up don't hear it.Have the hood up checking.Go underneath and pull the dust cover to check the TQ bolts and look at the flywheel.Bolts are tight and flywheel looks good.I have to leave it to Sunday.Go out to check the timing thinking maybe she's dieseling.Funny thing no timing mark to be found - w/ & w/o ESC in bypass.Jack her up and reach up to mark the balancer timing mark better.The outer ring of the balancer just wobbles around.Problem found,thankfully this was all it was.replaced the balancer,and the belts and hoses since it had to be done anyhow.I know this doesn't happen often but it's something else to look at.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Originally posted by bigd25x
damn, well mine sounds like its comeing from the top of the engine and its still running\driveing prefectly. and after i let it warm up a bit it stops ticking\knocking so much and starts sqeeking a little
My car did the same thing, and I thought it was something far worse than what I could imagine. And it turns out, it wasn't

It sounds like an EGR valve/solenoid. When my EGR went bad, my gas mileage suffered greatly and there was a horrid ticking noise everytime I went from a stop light or up a hill or any time. I replaced the EGR valve with a new solenoid as well. The car's been fine ever since. Very recently about 2 months ago in December though, my cheap plastic hose snapped entering into the EGR solenoid so I replaced both hoses with rubber ones and haven't had a problem with those since.

the EGR stuff is very easy to replace, however the parts are a bit pricey. Just take off the air cleaner, disconnecting all hoses under it (make sure you know what goes where) the EGR valve is a circle looking metal piece that sits adjacent to the aircleaner itself, the solenoid is just a few inches back from the valve if I remember correctly. A few bolts here and there and you're done, just make sure the car is nice and cool when you attempt at fixing it.