Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Exhaust smells funny....again

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Exhaust smells funny....again

oif...no codes or nothing

I got a code 32 about a week back but that was because of a torn hose. The valve and solenoid are both new, no more than 3 months old each. It was performing fine, and has been performing fine since I replaced that.

I get good gas mileage nothing has suffered. I got 18mpg to the gallon with crappy driving...I am taking it easy now and seeing what I am getting.

Anyways, since the hose was torn, I replaced both hoses from the EGR solenoid to the valve and the EGR solenoid to the engine block itself (just below the TBI I believe) since then, the car suffered no ticking noise from around that area, and its been doing well.

However warming the car up today, the smell was ludicrous. Augh, I was choking. It smelled just as bad as before when the valve and solenoid went bad.

But I am getting no codes whatsoever. Could I have mixed up the hoses wrong and this is what is causing the bad smell?

I connected the shortest hose from the EGR solenoid to the valve thing on the EGR valve, then I connected the left hose on the solenoid to the engine block (under the TBI)

What's causing the bad smell? O2 sensor is new as well....
Old 01-02-2006, 04:23 PM

Car: '86 Camaro SC
Is it sort of like rotten egg smell? Could be the cat going bad, or if the cat is brand new then it could be that also. Not likely, but it is a possibility....
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 PM

hmmmm, perhaps, I don't think a cat can go bad like this all of a sudden can it?

I guess rotten eggs is probably the closest smell, but its almost unbearable.

Any other possibilities. Its not the EGR nor is it the solenoid. I just want to know if mixing the hoses up could cause a bad smell like this.

I used to get a ticking noise but its gone now since I replaced the hoses. The car runs perfect, no hesitation none of that.

What's the average lifespan of a cat. converter? I passed emmissions with it about a month and a half ago.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
You said "warming it up" - all cars are going to run rich when cold, thus unburnt fuel, and the rotten egg smell. You'll also notice the exhaust is darker (hold your hand over the tailpipe end, and it may even blacken your hand). In the old days, the choke closed off the air supply, thus more fuel in the A/F ratio. Today, the ECM pumps in more gas, same effect, more fuel in the A/F ratio - until the car warms to normal operating temps. If it's just on warm-up in the colder mornings, it may just be a normal rich til warm function.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by camaronewbie
You said "warming it up" - all cars are going to run rich when cold, thus unburnt fuel, and the rotten egg smell. You'll also notice the exhaust is darker (hold your hand over the tailpipe end, and it may even blacken your hand). In the old days, the choke closed off the air supply, thus more fuel in the A/F ratio. Today, the ECM pumps in more gas, same effect, more fuel in the A/F ratio - until the car warms to normal operating temps. If it's just on warm-up in the colder mornings, it may just be a normal rich til warm function.

Just for future reference, if its not on warming it up?

I only noticed it when the car just starts up for the first time in the morning. I didn't know that it will run lean for a bit until it operates normally.

However, for reference only, what if it does it when its warm and operating?

my guess is a bad cat, but I'll be replacing my cat within the next few months with a 3 inch magnaflow converter (60 bucks online, cannot pass)
Old 01-02-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi
cheep gas with a high sulfur content causes the rotten egg smell, try changing gas stations
Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 T.B.I. (Vin tag "E" = LO3)
Transmission: THM-700-R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi 3.23
ha u dont want to be behind me on the high way. i followed behind it once a couple years back and i had to change lanes, and although no smoke was comin out it the smell started to give me a headache...