Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I think i got a Vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: V8 350 ci
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Posi, Disk brakes all the way aroun
I think i got a Vacuum leak

i noticed some hoses unplugged, i pluged them back in thinking they may help the problem. it helped some but still when i step on the gas it doesnt have any power . like theres vacuum leak, when u first start the car i hear a loud hidding but then after it warms up the hisses goes awayy. but i can still hear it faintly , cant tell where its comign from. so what can i do to fix this problem?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
For vacuum leaks, get a can of carb cleaner, and spray around any and all vacuum connections while motor at idle - if the idle increases for a second with the spray, then you have a leak there. Also spray around the intake base & the carb base. Check the vacuum hose routing diagram - under the hood there is a sticker with it - make sure you have all connected correctly. Also just search for any hose not connected. There are diagrams here (use search button) of the vacuum hose routings if your sticker is gone.

If you can't find a leak, then go back to basics for performance problems - spark, fuel, air, timing. Check plug wires (I have one that likes to pop off now and again), check firing order, check timing - make sure EST connector attached. Check fuel pressure, maybe change fuel filter ($7, 5 minutes). And make sure TV cable adjusted correctly if auto trans.

A hissing could be anything - you could have a vacuum leak in the a/c heater controls - most of them hiss when changing from one setting to another - check to see if the air diverts from defrost, to dash, to floor correctly. Could be brake booster - they will hiss sometimes - do the brakes work well enough? These two don't mean you have a leak that will affect performance - just explains the hissing. I wouldn't imagine you could actually hear any hissing from an under-the-hood vacuum leak when the motor is starting or running - over the noise of the starter/motor running. So hissing not necessarily part of the performance problem - may be just another thing.

Every car has it's own little "noises" - mine - the dizzy squeals when it's below 35 outside, until the car warms up - and there seems to be no fix (short of a new dizzy), it's just another flaw to love!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: V8 350 ci
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Posi, Disk brakes all the way aroun
great stuff, thx. how do i ajust my tv cable and for that matter, where is this tv cable lol. thx guys
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
TV Cable is part of the throttle linkage on the TBI. Remove air filter and housing - on driver side of TBI Unit there will be 3 cables - one is throttle and goes into firewall. One is Cruise Control and goes along driver fender to the driver front behind headlight. The third, is the TV cable - it runs behind motor to tranny. Search the sight for specific instructions - there's a article in the tech section. There is a D-shaped hole in bottom, with a push-button in there. You need topress this in (really hard) and push the cable into the housing (towards firewall). Then release, and go push the gas pedal to the floor hard and slowly (engine off). You'll hear this cable "click" as it adjusts itself out towards the front of car. Again - check the tech article for pics and better explaination.

While air filter housing off, start car and check fuel injector spray - it should be nice conical shape spray, and not a haphazard dripping mess when you twist the throttle linkage. And please keep face out of way in case it backfires - I won't be responsible for you being any uglier! (kidding)

Like I said earlier - check the basics methodically - it's usually something simple that is simply over looked.