Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

92 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
92 problems

Alright i have a 92 rs 3.1 Im having a lot of problems but i cant figure one out. when i slow down my engine rpms go up and down and sometimes is dies completly. its been doing this for quite some time now too. i tried to reset the iac and now it idles at like 1500rpm. Im not getting any codes. other than that it seems to run fine. any ideas?????
Old 12-22-2005, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
my car did the same thing, (its a 92 RS with a 3.1 also) then eventually it would surge a little bit on the freeway now and then... barely noticeable.

once it started doing that i tore into it and threw plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on it.

it was the cap and rotor, they had some serious buildup on the terminals and the rotor had carbon tracking, and was burnt all to hell on the tip. whoever put it in did put any grease on the contact, and it burnt through after awhile and contributed to the problem. ran great after i replaced it though.

if you haven't done that in awhile, i'd go grab a good cap and rotor with brass terminals, it's hella cheap.

also look for vacuum leaks if your idle doesn't go down. my motor always idled at about 1100 which i felt was high. until i found a cracked hose going to my evap can, and a disconnected hose left open going to my cruise control. fixed em up and it dropped to about 900, but still idled bad when i got it down to 750 with the idle screw... so then I cleaned out the throttle body, reset the IAC, adjusted it, THEN set the idle screw, and it idled great after that.

and i went from 19 mpg average (mixed driving with a heavy foot most of the time) to 23.

paid for my cap and rotor and then some on ONE tank of gas.