Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help With No-start, ignition related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With No-start, ignition related.

Allright, Thanks for Having a Look.

The Engine is a Carburated 2.8L. The problem is I can't get it to pop off.

Here is what I know.

a.) New Coil, I replaced the Old Coil because I was getting yellow spark. As soon as I replaced the coil, It fired right up. I drove it around the block, parked it, and it won't start again. I never checked spark color with the new coil whilst it worked.

b.) Now Im getting yellow spark again.

c.) Cap, rotor, plugs and wires are New.

d.) If I take the coil to Cap Wire, and put a Plug in it instead, I still get a Yellow spark. This leads me to belive that the cap/rotor/wires are all okay, and that the problem is either with the coil, or in the wiring pre-coil.

Ive got 12v at the coil in the "run" position, and 10v during cranking. The Coil Checks out on the Ohm-meter.

So, This leaves what? The ingition Module ?

My Question about this is, Would this Cause weak spark like i am experiancing ?? I don't feel like dropping another 60 bucks On a part Not knowing 95% that it is going to fix the problem. Doing that with the coil Hurt enough for this Month.

Anything else I should Check?

Thanks, If It matters this is on an '85 S10 blazer.

Any ideas are welcomed.

------------------
85 2.8L Blazer - Soon to to Beater car.
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 14.55 @ 98.6 (faster than Ed)
Reader's ride -> My Ride

"Faster than Most, Slower than Less"
Old 12-10-2001, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, ignition module is about the only thing left, I guess. It switches the coil's 12V power supply on and off at the correct time. I can't believe you fried a brand new coil that fast, so I'm gonna say that's the next link in the chain. It could have good voltage but lousy amperage output, choking off the coil's output.

Just buy a parts store cheapie to test it out. Keep it real clean and nice looking while installing it so you can return it if that's not the problem.

Old 12-10-2001, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again, D.

I guess Ill have to front it, Im just gonna be a bit annoyed if thats not the problem.

The igntion module controls what exactly, when to send voltage to the coil ? So I suppose a waxed module could be sending a low amperage singal to the coil, wich results in a wimpy spark on the plug end of things.

Wish I could test this, before shelling out the cash tho, Places around here wont take electrical parts back. You walk out with it, you bought it.

------------------
85 2.8L Blazer - Soon to to Beater car.
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 14.55 @ 98.6 (faster than Ed)
Reader's ride -> My Ride

"Faster than Most, Slower than Less"