Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

The F series will triple your engine horsepower. 500*3 = 1500HP.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope your ready for this, Its going to twist andy's old car into a pretzel.

That 25.1 is going to be a must, I don't think you'll be able to turn the boost down enough to suit anything else.

The engineer said 7.20;s on your CID with same heads. If you get the BIG custom cam you're there man.

Did you hear Doug Mangrum ran 6.76 with the F4 a 3 tenth improvement over the F3!

Maybe I'll include a couple diapers for your first runs!!!

ProCharger Specifications
D-3R F-3SC F-4SC
HP Usage (typical max) 1800 1950 2200
Max Flow (CFM) 3400 3650 4000
Compressor Housing Diameter 12" 12" 13.5"
Inlet Hose Diameter 5" 6" 6"
Inducer Diameter 4.7" 5.2" 5.5"
Impeller Exducer Diameter 8" 7.7" 8"
Outlet Hose Diameter 4" 4" 4.1"
Outlet I.D. 3.59" 3.59" 3.59"
Max RPM (Impeller) 48,000 53,000 48,000
Internal Step-Up 4.44:1 5.10:1 5.10:1
Max Boost (psi) 36 36 30

The stated figures are not absolutes, and may actually be higher depending upon the specific application.
These figures are based on stated peak airflows; actual obtainable power levels may be higher in well prepared engines.
All helixed ProCharger impellers operate with peak efficiencies of 72-77%, as defined by SAE J1723.
When comparing supercharger adiabatic efficiencies, subtract approx. 4-5% pts. for competitor's compressor housings with 90° outlets (all ProCharger models have straight outlets).
Engine intake air temperature is the most relevant thermal measure (not SAE J1723) for a supercharger installed on a vehicle, especially when intercooled; SAE J1723 does not address the impact of engine dynamics, engine compartment heat transfer, intercooling or deficiencies caused by supercharger location.

Exclusive Billet Impellers

Why on Earth would ATI spend a great deal of time and money developing a billet 7075 T-6 aircraft aluminum, CNC-machined impeller? The answer is simple: to give you more boost. Because the billet impeller has significantly greater material strength than cast impellers used in other superchargers, it can be spun substantially faster to produce more boost and hp for your Mustang. Superchargers, of course, do not produce boost with just an impeller. You must also have a transmission capable of spinning the impeller at the desired speed. The ProCharger transmission's (gears, bearings, seals) are the strongest and most durable ever built. Without this, the billet impeller would not even be needed, because transmission meltdown would occur, as is often seen with other superchargers, well before the physical limitations of even a cast impeller could be reached. However, armed with this exceptionally powerful high speed transmission, ATI is able to take full advantage of the high tech aerospace billet impeller. A big part of supercharger flow and boost is based on the tip speed of the impeller. A simple way to find tip speed at a given rpm is to take that rpm and the impeller's circumference (2'r), and convert this into feet per minute, or miles per hour. An impeller, any impeller, can only go so fast (in feet per minute, or mph), before it will bend and break. This critical speed is determined in large by an impeller's material composition and the manufacturing process used to create the impeller. Thus, a bigger impeller, with a larger diameter and circumference, will reach its critical speed at a lower rpm than an impeller with a smaller diameter and circumference. So although a larger impeller may create a lot more boost and flow at a given rpm, its rpm limitation may ultimately make it no more powerful than a smaller, faster turning impeller due to the previously stated tip/critical speed relationship. Historically, all centrifugal superchargers have used some form of cast impeller. Therefore, everything else being equal, superchargers with larger, slower turning impellers or alternatively, smaller, higher speed impellers both face essentially the same critical speed (and airflow and boost) limitations. Now, there are some other minor factors which can mildly affect overall performance, such as impeller to wall clearancing, number of impeller blades, and blade design. However, these design issues can only give mild improvements to the basic performance of a cast impeller. By using the strongest production aluminum available to mankind, ATI is able to substantially change the rules. The material strength for most aluminum castings is 32,000 - 36,000 pounds (tensile), as compared to 7075 T-6 aircraft aluminum, which is 83,000 pounds (tensile). In fact, this aircraft aluminum is so strong that in many categories it actually has the same strength as steel. The end result is that the ProCharger impeller design retains the optimal boost curve for a streetable supercharger while also achieving boost levels never previously achieved by a warrantied supercharger. The ProCharger's larger impeller also allows it to operate at a moderate rpm and still create boost and airflow levels which exceed other manufacturers' units when tapped out. And for those customers who demand all-out racing performance, the powerful billet impeller's composition means that it will not bend or break even under super high boost/flow conditions. The billet impeller also weighs approximately 25% less than cast impellers, which serves to reduce transmission load and noise. Additionally, all surfaces are machined to further improve adiabatic efficiency, the impeller is better dynamically balanced, and has no internal casting cracks or flaws.

Pro charger is going to have an article in super chevy with a stock 427 crate motor on pump gas that makes 1350hp with an F3.

This is radical cutting edge technology that is even making the turbo guys scratch their heads.

Old 12-09-2001, 11:03 AM

holy ****, how much does that think cost, and how much $ is the package, im going to build a blown 383 but i i can stick with my 305, and have 900hp that would be awsome, and the engine before supercharger is 6000$

------------------
90 RS 305 tbi, 4 3/4" cowl Hood, Edelbrock TES headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Crane roller cam, comp roller rockers, vortec heads/intake, ported tbi, w/new injectors, MSD probillet Distributer/ coil, 1 inch tbi spacer, air foil, 14x4 k&n flat base air cleaner, Rebuilt 700r4 w/ B&M shift kit, B&M Megashifter, 3.23 posi, 2 12 RF's with mtx amp, top of line alpine cd player,autometer phantom gauges, soon to have 91-92 gfx, z-28 wing, new paintjob, rims, all new suspension, and new inteior
Old 12-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
You know what's going to happen. These rice boys are gonna just keep buying there 150hp cars, and slap that thing on their car, just like nos. Oh well, hopefully once I get out of college, I'll be able to afford one of those.

------------------
2 Tickets to game= $250
Gas= $20
Sitting 20ft. from MJ= Priceless
'86 IROC T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK HEADERS Hooker CatBack
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
160* Stat, just switched to 180* b/c of winter coming and going to college in the mts.
3:73 Posi Rebuilt 700R4
B&M Megashifter, 5" Autometer Tach w/shift lite
Old 12-09-2001, 05:10 PM

yeah well there goes my plans for a twin turbo 377 :\
Old 12-09-2001, 09:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
I work with turbo's that big every day on Cummins and Cat engines. 12-14 liter engines have no problem spinning one of those but a small engine would never see the potential of a turbo that large. The lag would be so bad the car would be a dog below 4000 rpm.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:04 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen 87 IROC:
I work with turbo's that big every day on Cummins and Cat engines. 12-14 liter engines have no problem spinning one of those but a small engine would never see the potential of a turbo that large. The lag would be so bad the car would be a dog below 4000 rpm.</font>

BINGO!

Unless your gonna have some steep @ss gears to get the engine spinning very high very fast then its not a possibility. Of course if you can get all that going its going to melt the engine before that turbo reaches 50% of its potential.
Not to sy i wouldent try it.
SSC
Old 12-09-2001, 10:37 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
4000? try 7 grand on a 305 baby... I couldn't wait to hear what the engine knock with one of those would sound like! The whole engine would be shoved through the frame rails...

Lata,
Mike
Old 12-10-2001, 06:54 AM

so where the hell does Pro charger get off in saying they're going to have an article in super chevy with a stock 427 crate motor on pump gas that makes 1350hp with an F3