Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Im Back and I broke Something! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 02:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im Back and I broke Something! :)

Well, Not really.

I bought a 2.8LV6 Blazer, and I was changeing the plugs and wires on it. Its Carbied.

Anyhow, The Distributor Hold down Nut was loose, So It was wiggleing all over the place.

Needless to say, I felt the timing wasnt exactly accurate at that point, and I ha better Re Time it. So I went ahead and changed all the plugs and wires, and havent been able to get it to start since. Im getting spark and fuel, and it wont even pop. the timings gotta Be Way off.

So, First off, Wich mark on the balancer is TDC ? the damn thing has TWO. One thick Notch, and the other a fine line.

The THick Notch seems to line up better, but since its not seeming to work Im not sure.

Secondly, Is there anything else I Should look at, EST bypass and the Like ? I verified spark By Holding an old plug in the #1 wire to ground and watching it spark, But it looked sorta weak, I imagine the coil has seen better days.

The thing htat Throws me, Is I should at least get a pop or too, No matter how jacked the Timing is. I just don't get it.

Anyway, Anyone got any bright ideas ?

as always, Thanks.

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 14.82 @ 91.1 (faster than Ed)
Reader's ride -> My Ride

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 12-06-2001, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Firing order for the 2.8: 1,2,3,4,5,6, going clockwise around the cap. I'm not making this stuff up. Make sure your plug wires are on right.

On my 91 3.1 V6 the thick notch was the timing mark.

Weak spark? Does it spark blue? It should. If it's yellow or orange the coil is shot.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow as the Sun, My bets are on a Shot Coil

Thanks D

------------------
85 2.8L Blazer - Soon to to Beater car.
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 14.55 @ 98.6 (faster than Ed)
Reader's ride -> My Ride

"Faster than Most, Slower than Less"
Old 12-06-2001, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: yep
Engine: uhuh
Transmission: sure does
When you get it running, the EST timing plug is usually under the dash on the pass. side.

------------------
ASE Mechanic/Machinist/Smog Tech

1999 NBM Trans Am
1986 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up
1981 corvette
1995 Kawi ZX6R
and 2 POS commuters...

R.I.P. #3
"He can see air"
Old 12-07-2001, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Engineboy:
When you get it running, the EST timing plug is usually under the dash on the pass. side.
</font>
I beleive all carbed S10 blazers were vaccume advanced, at least my '83 was.
First double and tripple check your wires. Make sure they are not 180* off (I've done that once or twice . Cylinder one is at the front left (as looking into the engine bay), and cylinder 2 is the front right one.

If this is right, turn the distributor to both extreams, and set it in the middle. This should be close enough to at least start. If the starter has a lot of trouble (engine kicks back), then the timing is too far advanced.

Once it is running, cut it off and removed the vaccume line from the distributor and plug the line with a screw or something. If it is EST, then unplug the wire like EngineBoy said. Then clean off the timing marks and the balancer, and put white out on the thick line (if i rememebr corectly). Turn the distributor clockwise to retard the timing, and CCW to advance it.
Oh yeah, and get a better coil

Ok, i probably covered most of what you already knew, but i'm sitting between classes very board!

[This message has been edited by Truckman (edited December 07, 2001).]