Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild?

I have an 88 tpi 5.7 and was wondering about how much i should expect to pay to have it rebuilt? No real mods, just rebuild to natural form.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:20 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
IROC,

A lot of the cost will be in labor, so if you are paying someone else to perform the rebuild, expect to spend at least $1,500.00 for a pretty complete job. You should also consider the amount of work to be done. The condition of the engine will dictate some of the rebuild cost. An engine that requires boring and new pistons will go deeper into your wallet than a less worn engine that can survive with the existing pistons. The same is true for the crankshaft, camshaft, piston rods and pins, etc. If the engine requires a lot of new parts, expect to pay more.

There may be a point where a new replacement engine would be more cost effective, especially when you consider that the new engine will have a new engine warranty. GM sells Goodwrench replacement LO3 350s for as little as $1,497.00 with everything except the intake and exhaust manifolds.

A replacement GMPP performance 330HP 350 engine goes for about $600.00 more. Check your options before you commit.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
If you want to beat the World, it might reach up and pull you down...
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 12-04-2001, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did u find this out? a website or through a dealer?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TeamTripp Performance
I had my 87 L98 rebuilt about a year and a half ago by a local machine shop. My crankshaft broke with 70k miles on the odometer. I don't remember the amount they originally quoted me, but the total came to a little over $1100, tax and all.

For this amount they tore down, tanked, and magnafluxed the block. I paid $30 core charge for a 'new' crank which was turned .010; new rod and main bearings, crank balanced. The crank bore was align honed, cylinders bored .30 over, new pistons and rings; new oil pump, timing chain and gears; cam and lifters were not replaced (typically these are replaced w/ non-roller cam engine).

The heads were re-worked but I don't many of the details involved other than the valve guides are knurled (sp.), the same springs are used and new valve seals were installed. The intake manifold was tanked and installed before delivery to the mechanic (the machine shop messed this part up, I still have oil being burned in #1 cylinder and I think it's because of improper installation of the intake).

Find a machine shop and find out exactly what they do during the rebuild. Not sure which crate engines would accept your stock intake, but that is definitely a consideration if you decide to go that way.