Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Gear drive experts please look at this

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 350 CI Tuned Port
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:45
Gear drive experts please look at this

This is a pic of the gear drive that came on the monster motor I purchased a few months back. First off can anyone identify it?

Now here is the problem. Look at this close up of the retaiiner that bolts onto the front. You should be able to click on and enlarge it. It has spacers built into the back of it that do not completely fill the space between it and the main plate of the drive. This causes the retainer to tighten up agains the thrust bearings when you reassemble it. I did not notice if this was the case or not when I took it apart. When you tighten it down everything still turns smoothly but it just doesnt look right to me. Neither myself or my machinist can figure out any other way to put it together. Waddya think? Is something wrong here or not?

Old 11-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Car: 85 Firebird
Engine: 355 Vortec TPI
Transmission: 700r4 with Pro-Built goodies
Axle/Gears: LS1 3.42 Posi Disc
Are you referring to the thrust washers on the front of that assembly? In my very limited experience with gear drive timing systems I have not seen one that fits perfectly without some modification. That gap would concern me. Does the cam have excessive thrust movement? -Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 jaguar xjs convertable
Engine: 89 L98 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 dana 44
I would think its going to bow the retainer as you tighten it down and put uneven pressure on the bearings or gears. I would shim that space closed. Are you running a knock sensor on that motor?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:45 AM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 350 CI Tuned Port
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:45
Solved mystery

Rob, You are right that is exactly what happens. Strange part is that it came off of this same motor with the same camshaft. No I am not running a knock sensor.
One of the guys off of the V8 Monza list identified this for me as a Summer Bros gear drive. I was ecstatic to find their website and verify by the picture that he was correct. I have contacted them so I am certain they will be able to solve it for me.
Thanks
Roy