Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

engine hot, starts ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine hot, starts ticking

1982 Firebird S/E v6, carb.

I recently, replaced the waterpump, after a few overheatings, and i saw it was leaking a lot, figured because of a antifreeze/water loss.. the new pump stopped the leak, but now, the engine, is getting very hot, and i hear it, a lot of pressure., and it started ticking, tapping, really loud after a while.. is this because of the thermometer, on the block, someone told me one time i dont need it, if my gague doesnt work anyway, and someone else told me, it controls how much coolant goes in and out of the engine... what should i do about this?
Old 11-26-2001, 07:03 PM

How hot is it getting?? Last time I had an engine do that was when, you guessed it, my water pump went out. Be sure you're getting flow. It has to get pretty hot to start that banging noise.

------------------
85T/A 305/QJ work in progress.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:07 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
I really don't understand what your asking.
You may have put on a water pump that is flowing in the wrong direction and that is why the engine is getting really hot now. You have three temp units on the car, one operates the fan, the other operates the gauge and the other is a coolant sensor which talks to the computer and does like computer controlled stuff. I don't think that your coolant temp sensor (the third one) would cause the ticking. I'm not positive, but it could be that something got burnt up in the engine from having it overheat so much...

I hope this helps,
Mike

------------------
1989 RS.. 355, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch, 3 angle valve job, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, 3 core radiator, 3.73 gearing with POSI.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:42 PM

im not sure how hot its getting, but i know its hot when its knocking like that, its not steaming, at all, just making noise, and the hoses are way too hot. ..

--

'You may have put on a water pump that is flowing in the wrong direction and that is why the engine is getting really hot now.'

how can it be in the wrong direction, i got the exact same one and put it on the same..?
Old 11-26-2001, 07:44 PM

Try changing your thermostat it may be sticking, i have seen it happen before. Also are your fans coming on? Did you say the gauge dosent work? Anyway your 1 fan should come on at 227 and the other should come on with the AC. hope this works

------------------
88' Iroc-Z 350 TPI
36,000 orig. miles
Ported/polished heads
Milled heads 10 thousands
MSD 8mm Wires
Random Technology CatBack
TPIS adj. fuel pressure regulator
TPIS Airfoil
B&M Shift Kit
Gutted Cat
3.27 posi
Best run stock=14.344 95.78 mph
Old 11-26-2001, 07:47 PM

the only fan, is the one that connects to the waterpump, this is a 82, ... ill try using a new thermostat, but will it be ok w/o one.. my temp gague doesnt work now anyway, have to wait on that.(so id prefer to not have to buy anything..)
Old 11-30-2001, 01:06 PM

"How hot is it getting?? Last time I had an engine do that was when, you guessed it, my water pump went out. Be sure you're getting flow. It has to get pretty hot to start that banging noise."

--

i replaced the water pump, the thermostat, upper radiator hose, and now the hose doesnt get really hot like it used to, but now it still overheats, and when i take off, the cap, where u put oil in, smoke comes out... this is after drivin it for about 2 miles...

could this still be because of the waterpump flow? how can i check if its flowing right, and also, why is the oil starting to burn now? havnt had it burn oil yet.

thanks,
-matt