Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Factory roller cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005 | 10:52 AM

Factory roller cam questions

Has anyone disassembled a factory hydraulic roller lifter from a vortec? I disassembled two and found only a flat disk inside. Is that all that is inside a stock GM hydraulic lifter? What is the correct way to get the darn thing back together? I put these in the lifter bore and cranked down on a stock pushrod until the cup was below the groove and installed the retaining spring.

How does one identify the lift AND duration of an unknown cam? Using a degree wheel? Does anyone have a degree wheel and dial indicater they want to sell?

What would be the correct pushrod length for a vortec hydraulic roller cam? Compcams says 7.3.
Old 11-06-2005 | 09:20 AM
20 Year Member

Not sure about the lifters. The LT1 lifters I've had open had the metering disc.

As for plotting the lift curve of an unknown cam, lacking a CMM with a C-Axis, here's what I've done:

With a handful of lobe lift and degree comparisons, it's fairly easy to get a handle on the lobe profile. LSA, duration on both lobes, and peak lifts are determined, and a little research can often reveal exactly what you have. If you pay a little attention at the transiston from the base to the ramp, you can usually determine if it was intended to be a hydraulic or solid grind.