Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Getting code 42 and car is hesitating, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting code 42 and car is hesitating, what should I do?

I have a all stock '91 Z28. Just today I got a SES light on the highway. I couldn't feel anything abnormal but I pulled over and turned the car off and checked the engine. Didn't see anything off so I drove it again and about 3 minutes later the SES came on again. This time I just continued to drive and noticed that when I hit 3000rpm the engine hesitates as if the timing is off and I cant go over 3000rpm in 3rd? gear I think. This only happens with the SES on which seems to take a few minutes to kick on. I checked the ECM code it was giving and it says:

Code 42)Electronic Spark Timing (EST) circuit - open or shorted to ground during engine run
Direct Ignition System (DIS) fault - bypass circuit open or shorted ground during engine run
Fuel Cutoff Relay Circuit - open or shorted to ground

anyone give me a tip on where to look?
Old 11-25-2001, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shaocaholica:
I have a all stock '91 Z28. Just today I got a SES light on the highway. I couldn't feel anything abnormal but I pulled over and turned the car off and checked the engine. Didn't see anything off so I drove it again and about 3 minutes later the SES came on again. This time I just continued to drive and noticed that when I hit 3000rpm the engine hesitates as if the timing is off and I cant go over 3000rpm in 3rd? gear I think. This only happens with the SES on which seems to take a few minutes to kick on. I checked the ECM code it was giving and it says:

Code 42)Electronic Spark Timing (EST) circuit - open or shorted to ground during engine run
Direct Ignition System (DIS) fault - bypass circuit open or shorted ground during engine run
Fuel Cutoff Relay Circuit - open or shorted to ground

anyone give me a tip on where to look?
</font>

Make sure your EST is plugged in. On my car it's located in a wire harness loom on the firewall on the far passenger side of the car above the heater blower motor housing.

------------------
1986 Trans AM
355 TPI
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
9 bolt Borg Warner Rear (2.77's....oh joy) :P
6" rods, approx. 9.7:1 Compression, Stock TPI (soon to be ported), 24#/hr LTI injectors (cleaned and flowmatched by Cruizin Performance), Hedman Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust with 80 series flowmaster, SBC 993 heads completely redone and modified for 1.6 RR, 1.52 RR (for now), Comp Cams XE262-14 TPI Cam, Holley AFPR, TPIS airfoil, MSD wires, MSD 6-AL Ignition, Hypertech 53,000 volt coil.

Track times to come.