Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

General Optima battery info

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:47 PM

General Optima battery info

I see lots of things being thrown around, and I have a problem Redtop so I've been following the net and getting information from Optima themselves and this is their current information. http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...utomotive.html
Notice there is virutally no difference in charging from Red-Yellow.

Red Top:
34 & 34R - 34/78 - 6V - 25 & 35 - 75/25
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature < 125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

Yellow Top:
D51 & D51R - D35 - D75/25 - D34 - D34/78
These batteries are dual purpose. They are designed for engine start and cyclic applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:
14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

From their current FAQ and Technical Info (myths and misconceptions):

7. Will my high-output alternator damage the OPTIMA?

No, as long as the voltage is properly regulated. Because the OPTIMA has a very low internal resistance it will accept high current more efficiently than conventional batteries.

8. Will it discharge the battery if leave it sitting on concrete?

No, today's batteries utilized polypropylene plastic for the case material. They will not be effected. When possible, always store a battery in a cool dry location.

12. What is the difference between your deep cycle and starter battery?

The OPTIMA deep cycle battery utilizes a different chemistry for the active paste material on the plates, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry changes allows for a much longer life in cycling applications, with only a slight reduction in power.

*************** So you can check the status of the battery
Open circuit voltage (OCV) and storage: OCV: 34 / 34R / 34/78 / 6V / 34M / 75/35 >12.8 volts (Red Top)
(for a fully charged battery)

D34 / D34/78 / D6V / D34M >13.0 volts (Yellow Top)
(for a fully charged battery)

Battery storage
Because of the high purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self discharge rate much lower than conventional flat plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle. Depending on storage temperature, the OPTIMA can usually sit for 8 to 12 months and start most vehicles.
When possible, store your battery in a cool, dry location. Check the battery voltage every 6 months and charge if it falls below 12.6 volts.

Remember, newer vehicles with on-board electronics such as computers, clocks, etc., require battery power to retain system memory while the vehicle is parked. If the vehicle is to be stored for long periods you should use a maintenance charger to compensate for this drain. This charger should be voltage regulated between 13.2 - 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum. On older vehicles, without electronics, disconnect the battery cables when the vehicle is not being used for extended periods.

Some Optima humor:

"DO NOT ADD WATER TO THE OPTIMA® BATTERY."

Your results may vary. I know mine did. I get 12.6V max and a heavy drain with no connection to the terminals. It was only used in my GTA that sits for about 1 month at a time, +/- Its about a year old and its bad, thankfully they have 3 year free replacement... the trick is getting someone to honor that.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Your results may vary. I know mine did. I get 12.6V max and a heavy drain with no connection to the terminals. It was only used in my GTA that sits for about 1 month at a time, +/- Its about a year old and its bad, thankfully they have 3 year free replacement... the trick is getting someone to honor that.
Well, this is a timely post! I also have a red top Optima battery that is only holding 12.4 volts, and it's playing havoc with my alternator. Wants to be at max charge all the time. I'm returning mine this weekend, so I hope they honor the return policy....
Old 11-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
ive always just used the yellow top. Ive heard of a lot of people having problems with the red top. I work at sears and we stared selling them last year along with our diehards. the optima is pretty popular but they dont have a lot of group numbers. I tend to tell people to get the yellow top even though it is a deep cycle more so than a starting battery. Ive used the yellows in the past for car audio and have kept them for years with no problems.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi w/Disc
I'm gonna replace my current sulfated battery with one of those Autocraft 1000CCA units... I'm never in the car unless the engine's on anyway...