Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! Problems with dropping distributor in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
HELP! Problems with dropping distributor in!

I'm doing my engine swap now (still) and I'm having some problems. The engine is in and I'm hooking everything up... today I go to drop the distributor in. It goes in but it won't drop down all the way. It stops about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the bottom. I'm using my stock distributor out of my 305 and the base off the 305. The oil pump is a M55HV (Melling High Volume) with the matching oil pump rod, so I can't see how that's the problem. Anybody run into this problem before?? The distributor and intake are from a 1986 305 and the new block is a 70s model block but that can't be the problem. Anybody with any ideas please help. I've taken it out several times and turned it in several directions and still the same thing. Oh yeah, the cam is a Comp Cam Extreme Energy line... could the gear be the problem?? When I go up front and turn the crank I can see the rotor turning so I'm pretty sure the gear is lining up... but the distributor is still sitting 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the intake. This is really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

First, if your engine is at TDC, you should have the rotor facing toward the driver's side of the car. Then, you should be able to slide it down. It can take several tries before you figure out just how you have to move it. Also, look at the oil pump driveshaft. The slot in it should line up about with the #5 cylinder. If it doesn't, take a long screwdriver and turn it so it faces that direction. It takes some playing around with it to get it to go in right. Try jiggling it side to side also and just moving it. Eventually, you'll get it in. I know I had a HELL of a time when I first tried it.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcconahay37:
First, if your engine is at TDC, you should have the rotor facing toward the driver's side of the car. Then, you should be able to slide it down. It can take several tries before you figure out just how you have to move it. Also, look at the oil pump driveshaft. The slot in it should line up about with the #5 cylinder. If it doesn't, take a long screwdriver and turn it so it faces that direction. It takes some playing around with it to get it to go in right. Try jiggling it side to side also and just moving it. Eventually, you'll get it in. I know I had a HELL of a time when I first tried it.</font>

I was thinking maybe the slot in the pump shaft isn't lined up right.... I'll have to check it out... not sure I have a screwdriver that long though.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Situation taken care of. I had to get up on top of the car and shine a light down into the engine to see what position the oil pump shaft was in. Once I did that, it went in just fine. PITA.. that's what it is. Thanks guys.