Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Locating vacuum hose online problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Locating vacuum hose online problems.

I'm trying to find some bulk vacuum hose online and it's becoming quite a nightmare. I have some oddball sizes I need and every single auto store page I go to forces me to put in my car/year/etc and then either tells me they "don't have 'vacuum hose'" for my car or show me 4 sizes total, 2 of which I already have and the other 2 I don't need. I'm assuming those are the 4 most common sizes in existance. By bulk, I mean 6+ feet of hose or the ability to choose your own length as some of the emissions hoses are really long. Typing in vacuum hose on most sites brings you to an "enter your vehicle" page which I don't want. I just want a listing of all hose/bulk hose they sell. Since some of these are odd sizes, I might need some place better than the corner auto store. Napa does list some hose, except it's in completely gibberish sizes(to me). Whatever .3874 diameter means is far out of my realm of knowledge. It must be a chore for them to type out 7/16 instead of .8237.

The sizes I need are 7/32, 5/16, 3/8, and 9/32. I think 2 of them are common, the others are not. Does anyone know where I can look online? I've tried advance, napa, autozone, carparts, rock auto and auto parts giant. All of em either like other sizes or tell me they don't have vacuum hose. I already have 2 sizes I need, 7/64 and 5/32 if I remember correctly. Maybe a link to bulk hose or tell me what in the world I'm doing wrong.

Some of the sizes may potentially be fuel hose. Low pressure fuel hose. Connected to the charcoal canister. Same issue though, I just need to find hose listings, not listings for my car or anycar.

Last edited by Elthesh; 10-03-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:00 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mc master-carr, they may not call it vacuum hose
Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,383 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
You're working too hard, for no reason whatsoever. You have successfully outsmarted yourself.

There's no such thing as "oddball sizes" on a GM vehicle. Purge your mind of all such delirium and hallucination.

9/32" is .031" bigger than 1/4"; about the thickness of 2 business cards. Use 1/4". It will be fine.

All the other sizes are complete no-brainers. 5/16" and 3/8" are the 2 most common sizes of fuel line; use that name to ask for it, instead of "vacuum line".

You will likely also find, that some of the lines are a different size at the 2 ends; because the factory used the hard plastic line with the little rubber ends. A straight piece of rubber hose is unlikely to work in such a situation. You can get all those parts and pieces to make up th eright thing at Advance, Auto Zone, etc., hanging on cards near the PCV valves and stuff like that.