Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

piston skit and top, combustion chambers, valves and so forth coated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
piston skit and top, combustion chambers, valves and so forth coated?

I've heard about these coatings for a while to be used on pinstons. you know the ceramic coating on the top and the moly stuff on the skirts and then coat the combustion chamber in ceramic and the valves.

but in all honest does this stuff really work? yeah it sure sounds good and the info I have read from the companies look good but then again there are those trying to sell tornado intakes and sure it might sound good but it isn't.

how much can one expect to gain in power AND gas mileage using these coatings to the pistons, chambers and valves and such?

is it worth it?

If used how thick does the coating need to be? how quick would it wear away or will it stay?

when done does the motor need to be retuned a little bit because of the way the car now runs?