Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

building a 302

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: 250
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock??
building a 302

hey guys i'm going to be building a 302 when i get out of this school in a year.. i just wanna start planing for this.. more or less i wanna high end reving 302 so with a power band around 2-8k give a little take a little gonna have to use a solid lifter cam does any one know a good cam that would fit this?

and another thing i'm going to be building the whole bottom end form scratch so ii'm gonna need a 283 fordged crank but what size CR am i gonna need i know scince i'm switching strokes i'm gonna wanna make up for the lack of going upward with a diffren't CR does any one know this? or am i'm just thinking to much into it.

i will ethier be turboing this or superchargin later not sure

i know some ppl here might think that building a 302 is not worth the time but i've done alot of time on my teachers desktop dyno. and seems i can build a ton of power with this thing. so plz don't say no replacement for displacement i know the story but i've dne my research so any comments or pryor experiances in building a 302 would be helpfull on what to look out for or what to do thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43
You can make alot of power out of any engine, personally i would rather spin a larger cube engine slower and make the same power.

Their is no replacement for displacement!

As for the pistons, I dont know if anyone sells them off the shelf they might need to be custom made which is big $$. As for the compression ratio figure out how much boost your going to put through it, max i would say is 8:1 static if you plan on 8+ PSI

Last edited by 84z28350; 09-16-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 PM

well a 327 uses a 4" bore so the whole thing about this is i'm spining less mass or simmilar mass but a shorter distance. but yeah i was thinking of about 10 psi.

ohh and i really love high reving motors i have a 350 right now with a 7k redline and i love it so i wannted something a little more power and higher red line but still a v8
Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
The whole displacement vs. RPM power thing has been discussed to death.

If the cam makes power to 8,000 RPMs, most likely it won't have any power below 4,000 RPMs.

You need pistons with the wrist pin located in the proper position for the 3" stroke.

I also wouldn't go with a factory 283 crank. Yes, they're forged (mostly - there were some cast 283 cranks as well). But, they were never intended to spin to 8,000 RPMs.

The only sane way to go about this would be with all aftermarket parts, including the block. Since you're talking about an odd-ball combination, figure on a lot of expensive custom parts.

(And, for the record, I have had a Chevy 302. My 305 would spin just as high as it would, and made more power. There's nothing magic about a 3" stroke.)
Old 09-16-2005, 10:40 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
Originally posted by five7kid
. There's nothing magic about a 3" stroke.)
Thats what she said.

What would be the pourpose of an engine spining 8 grand? Cup car wanna be or somone who doesent like the use of thier feet?
Attached Thumbnails building a 302-p99a3101.jpg  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:41 PM

With a 3.00 inch stroke, there is plenty of room for a 6 inch or even longer rod. If you run the 5.7 rods, the pistons will be tall and heavy, not what you want for high reving, even though the factory used 5.7 rods, the pistons were dog heavy, just something to check.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:31 AM

well i desktop dynoed just some possible things at school today and it redlined a 7500 rpms and made 1048 hp with a paxton supercharger at 6 psi. the power band started at about 2k and had a very nice curve to it i can't rember the TQ numbers but my instructer said this was a nice setup. i want to use a shorter piston and yes a longer CR any one know the size.. i don't want any of the why are u gonna build this or blah blah blah.. i just want some fact if you are just gonna be like why then don't post but if u have somthing important to say plz post i'm looking for any info i cna get my hands on
Old 09-17-2005, 07:11 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you get it all done and are working with steel and iron instead of paper and monkey spank be sure to let us know how much better it preforms than say a 350 or 400.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 350 but it's torn down right now.
Axle/Gears: I'm working on it,lol.
Originally posted by ede
when you get it all done and are working with steel and iron instead of paper and monkey spank be sure to let us know how much better it preforms than say a 350 or 400.
Aren't you supposed to be a "Supporter"/Moderator? How about offering the guy some "support" instead of making fun of his ideal project. I think it's cool that somebody wants to build something other than the usual 350. The guy already said he doesn't want anybody posting that's trying to change what he envisions for his vehicle. So how about we stick to the topic instead of trying to change his vision?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:19 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Originally posted by iroczracer07
Aren't you supposed to be a "Supporter"/Moderator? How about offering the guy some "support" instead of making fun of his ideal project. I think it's cool that somebody wants to build something other than the usual 350. The guy already said he doesn't want anybody posting that's trying to change what he envisions for his vehicle. So how about we stick to the topic instead of trying to change his vision?
Moderators in general know what thier talking about. Ede like many of us know there is no possible way a 302 will see 1000hp in real life. It's just a waste of energy to attempt such a project.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:34 AM

How much cash do you have to spend on this project Ridecamro? Are you on a budget, or do you plan on taking as much time as needed to get the cash to build this motor? Five7kid made a good point about aftermarket parts. You might as well plan on using forged pieces for the enitre bottom end of this motor. Balancing the rotating assembly will also be important, since you intend to spin it to 8 grand. Quality bolts and fasteners are also items that should be high on your list of things to have. Do you plan on using and original G.M. 283 block? If you do, you're gonna have to look for blocks from the 60's. There was two styles of 283 blocks made in that decade. One had cylinders that ended flat by the mains, the other was dished. You're gonna want the dished version to clear the 327 cranks stroke. Those two components will make your 302. The 6 inch rods are a great idea since they create a better rod/length ratio, which will reduce side loading. As for the pistons, I think you'd be better off getting a custom set made for your particular set up. Call J.E. Pistons or one of the other piston manufacturers of your choice and tell them what you're looking for. If they do custom orders, you should have the pistons you want in a month or so, depending on how busy they are. One thing to keep in mind is the flat portion on dished pistons that helps improve the squish of the air/fuel mixture. The heads should have smaller port volumes around 180 to 190, 190 being the maximum. The smaller ports will increase airflow. Your heads are gonna have to have pretty good flow numbers in the mid and high ranges, since I'm assuming that you're trying to replicate an old Trans-American type 302. You're probably better off getting a solid cam to help with performance. You've probably got an idea from the Dyno program you used about your cam specs, so I won't even bother going into that here. Hopefully you also picked a good set of heads with a known airflow rate. If you didn't, most head manufacturers have the airflow numbers for most of their heads listed. If they don't, try doing a search on the internet to find somebody who does have the info. One last thing. If you don't want to spend all that time looking for an old 283 block, then just buy an aftermarket on from Dart or World Products. I just threw the 283 out there as a way to save cash, but they are getting to be pretty rare. Hope that helps out a little. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by SSC
Moderators in general know what thier talking about. Ede like many of us know there is no possible way a 302 will see 1000hp in real life. It's just a waste of energy to attempt such a project.
Maybe you better check out some of the ford 302's then. Besides that, isn't it his money to spend as he chooses. Just a thought.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:36 PM

i plan on building this motor over a peirod of time i wanna do it right and not rush mysef so when money comes in i'll be buying parts and creating as i go know i don't see why they don't think a superchared 302 coldn't make 1000 hp. how can 4cyl and cyl make 1000 plus and i'm just destroking a 327 with a 283 crank thanks for the imput iroczracer07
i apperciate it. if the block i'm getting isn't a 2 bolt main i'll be doing the conversion for it also i'll be using studs for everythign else and try to strengthin up everything i possibly engine.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:43 PM

You will need a 327 block made before 69 to use the small journal 283 crank.Or go a better route and get a custom crank made for a the newer roller 350 block since the 327 is just a destroked 350.There are alot of things that wont last to 8 grand like the ignition.Sit down make some calls and see if you can find the parts and the price of them before you go too headstrong and can only half complete it.Goodluck and keep us posted.Something diff and unique is always good in my opinion--make your own path.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:38 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Maybe you better check out some of the ford 302's then. Besides that, isn't it his money to spend as he chooses. Just a thought.
Well he can do that. Having a custom built small displacment engine that will loose in a race to a superior larger cube engine isnt going to be unique in any way.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:44 PM

thanks for the input iroc-turbo so i can take a 350 block and get a 283 custom crank. what exatcly would i have to do to get this to work? i was planing on using a DIS with a CPS i was maybe thinking about putting a lower cam in cause the rotating mass would be lighter and would rev faster so what would you think if i took a lower rpm band cam say up to 6-6500 rpms the loss in wight would help but i dunno
Old 09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

maybe you ought to check out some ford 302s and you'll know there's about as much in common with a SBC as there is a cat and a dog
Old 09-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
i'm with ede on this one, playing with desktop dyno is fun, you can brag to your friends, and have a jolly old time spanking the proverbial monkey. But at the end of the day, you have NO 1000HP ENGINE!
I've only been on this board for about a year, and i've seen countless people talk about planning some ungodly powerful motor like that. These are people who generally haven't even ridden in a 350HP car, or seen the kind of cash it'd take to build a $1000 HP engine. (not even thinking about chassis, tranny, suspension etc, mods).

Not trying to bash you, but try something reasonable first. I could try and build a 500HP smallblock for my car, but as my first motor build? no way. Think of how i'd feel when I crank the puppy up the first time, after $7000 in parts, and the thing smokes and explodes 'cuz I forgot to check a certain clearance or something... I'm going to build a ~$2000 350, to put out maybe 350HP, and if it works, peachy. If not, well I won't blow my brains out over it. But that's a realistic goal, I can fill it up on gas at a gas station, and drive to get groceries, and still smoke *most* of the cars around here.
1000HP? keep dreaming.
build something "normal" first, then worry about the custom stuff later, after a few successes.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
If I were building a 3" stroke engine, I'd consider a set of 6.25" rods. With those you could use the pistons that 3.5" stroke/6"rod combo uses. And you'd have a wide range of choices of reasonably priced forged pistons.
Some alum heads with the smallest chamber size available (less than 50cc) would put the compression ratio in the ballpark.
And add to that a smallish street solid roller cam and matching valve gear.
It's all some pretty high $$ stuff for street, but it's a project that's entirely feasible. I wouldn't recommend it for someones first build though. And personally, the only way I'd build one would be if someone gave me the rotating assy.
Back in the day when the factory 302s were available from the factory, they had a reputation for eating clutches, cause you had to slip it so much to get it rolling.
A 6 speed would be helpful too.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 PM

ohh and this would now be my firest motor i've bult 3 so far all have pushed over 350 hp to the wheels so know i know how to build them i've built them and don't start throwing around acusations about not know what i'm doing and calling me a novice before you know that facts i wouldn't start dreaming about building a motor this expensive if i didn't know what in the world i was doing. i've looked at things and how much they cost and how close tolerances have to be for producing such a powerfull motor ok so past that..

ok thanks for the info on the rod's street. i've been dreaming of this motor for a very long time ever scince i saw it on the history of the camaro so i just new i ahd to build it.. i lvoe building motors i get a rush on desingeing them and seeing diffren't ways to make them faster so i'm just trying to pic up some info on thie motor form ppl who know what thier talking about thats why i came here . i dunno about going with a aluminum head i know i can run a higher compression ratio and not detonate. but i dunno haven't looked to much into it as in this project yeah this build is gonna take a while to do and i'm not gonna take anyshort cuts i was gonna use a 6 speed and completey go over everything in the fram sub fram conectors roll cage and just stiffen it up as much as possible thanks for the imput
Old 09-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Just for fun I checked the CR for a 50cc head with flattop pistons on a 302 with .040 piston to head clearance. It was about 10.8 to 1.
This thread has some DD info on different Comp SR cams in different 4" bore engines. https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ghlight=327+dd
I'm building a 327 with some LT1 heads and the Comp 274 SR cam.
I've been buying valvetrain parts for the last year.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:16 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

if you came here looking for advice from people who know what they're talking about why are you not listening and paying close attention to those in a position similar to you. having built 3 engines i think you're right, you could be called a master engine builder. the fact that you referanced DD should of tipped us off, that's what all the masters use.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

He's only been a member since 2/04. He probabaly doesn't realize what a flogging he'll have to take by posting questions about short stroke engines on this board.
Or maybe he's just trying to frustrate everyone.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Nice to see how everybody is helping out. Especially since he specifically posted that if you had nothing but negative input you shouldn't post at all. Way to go guys. He won't ever get anything useful from this post simply because he doesn't agree with the rest of you and wants to do something different. If you had read all the coverage from the Engine Masters challenge throughout the years Ede, you would know that w enterprises built their first challenge engine with Dynosim. That motor took second place. I'd say that wasn't bad for a dyno program, wouldn't you?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

if you only want the good new you aren't going to get a very realistic picture of what you're dealing with, but then again when you're working with paper and monkey spank you wouldn't want facts or reality getting in the way. he also ask for help from someone who might have a little knowledge on the subject but that didn't stop a lot of people from posting. if all you want is people to agree with you why bother asking for opinions at all.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
I've pondered the idea of building a “302" as well. It would be "cool" per say, but not worth the trouble.

I was originally going to use a 1 pc. rear main block and a crank and rods out of a micro-LT1 (can’t remember the engine code off hand. L99??) that came in the Caprice. It’s a 4.3L V8 with a displacement of 265 c. i.

I thought it would be easy to do. A 3" stroke, 5.94" rods so a standard compression height 350 piston could be used, and they’re a dime a dozen because everyone pulls them out to replace them with an LT1.

Then reality hit. Finding 350 pistons that light, or adding Mallory metal to the crank to bring everything together for balancing, plus the cost of balancing, plus the increase in compression you’d need (BTW, someone said something wrong about stroke/bore ratios and compression ratios) to make decent HP. The higher TC stall needed to get the engine into it’s powerband, the higher gear ratio in the rear axles needed, blah blah blah.

Turned out to be too big of a PITA to have a “cool” engine that was slower than the more common 350. Especially since I already had everything to build the 350, as well as all the machine work done.

If you really want to build a 302, buy a Mustang. The homework (like the 350) has been done for you, and you'll know what the results will be.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Nice to see how everybody is helping out. Especially since he specifically posted that if you had nothing but negative input you shouldn't post at all. Way to go guys. He won't ever get anything useful from this post simply because he doesn't agree with the rest of you and wants to do something different. If you had read all the coverage from the Engine Masters challenge throughout the years Ede, you would know that w enterprises built their first challenge engine with Dynosim. That motor took second place. I'd say that wasn't bad for a dyno program, wouldn't you?
Last I checked the guy that owns the site didn't use ridecamro or iroczracer07. Neither does the oversight admin. That mean I, ede, or joblowtrailercamaro can post in any thread they damn well please. Funny how that works and even funnier how many times it gets overlooked.

Angry at a mod for giving his opinion, ok, let me give you my take on this:

when you get it all done and are working with steel and iron instead of paper and monkey spank be sure to let us know how much better it performs than say a 350, 383, 400, etc.

Does that make you feel better now that a non-mod said it? Can you look past the title and focus on the reasoning?

I'll go another route. Take those DD numbers and just change the specs to a 350 or 383 and tell me what happens. Then put in a cam more likely to find it's way into that type of motor and tell me what happens. After that why not price the build and let me know what lesson reality smacks you upside the head with.

Want to keep playing? Now go back and play with all those numbers and pop on a power adder. Now price again.

Want another route? With this hobby being as popular as it is, and the people involved as knowledgeable as they are, why don't you see tons of 302s in Chevys?

Want yet another alternative view? If you are looking at someone who apparently has not built a single motor, has no idea how to plan a buildup in stages over time and wants to attempt making up for the lack of displacement by using a higher compression (mind you on a motor that has been planned to have a power adder on it later), do you really think they have any realistic view on what a 302 can produce as compared to a larger displacement motor?

My question to 'Building a 302' would be either 'Why?' or 'What year Mustang?'.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 310 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 w/2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I support your idea. I'm all for doing the odd ball projects, too many 350's out there. Yes the combo's are proven time and time again, but there are other options that make the same or better power. Aside from getting it for free, that is why I decided to do my 305. It's different.

I agree that most mods know what they are talking about. I take everythign they say into consideration (non discouraging words anyway). But be sure to take everything with a grain of salt.

Desktop dyno is a great way to see if something would improve power or change the curve. Remember it's ALL math, so DD will give you correct numbers, but they are based on what you give it and under 100% perfect conditions. Be sure to give it the correct numbers for everything, heads, cam, blah blah blah.

I support the odd ball projects 110%. But with odd ball projects also come a price. It will cost more than a standard 350 package unless u can find someone online who does what your looking for. Being a pioneer can be expensive.

That is just my 2 cents, but what do i know? I'm building a 305 for pete sake!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
You can build a ton of power with a 302. Nobody said you couldn't.

In the past couple of years, the Board watched with rapt attention as one member took his 305 3rd gen into the 11's in the quarter. With a supercharger, of course. The 305 gave way to a mighty mouse, and he's running quicker NA than he was with the PA'd 305. Of course, it could be argued he would have been quicker with the same things done to a 302 as he did to the 305, and that would probably be right. Point is, when you limit displacement, you limit ultimate power.

A 1000 HP SBC is going to be expensive, no matter how you go about it. A 1000 HP 302 SBC is going to be more expensive to build than a 1000 HP 434 SBC. Count on it.

(For the record, most blue oval 5.0's get stroked to 347 CID when the owner wants to make serious power. Of course, then the block breaks in two, after several head gaskets blow and have been replaced...)
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Red Devil
Last I checked the guy that owns the site didn't use ridecamro or iroczracer07. Neither does the oversight admin. That mean I, ede, or joblowtrailercamaro can post in any thread they damn well please. Funny how that works and even funnier how many times it gets overlooked.

Angry at a mod for giving his opinion, ok, let me give you my take on this:

when you get it all done and are working with steel and iron instead of paper and monkey spank be sure to let us know how much better it performs than say a 350, 383, 400, etc.

Does that make you feel better now that a non-mod said it? Can you look past the title and focus on the reasoning?

I'll go another route. Take those DD numbers and just change the specs to a 350 or 383 and tell me what happens. Then put in a cam more likely to find it's way into that type of motor and tell me what happens. After that why not price the build and let me know what lesson reality smacks you upside the head with.

Want to keep playing? Now go back and play with all those numbers and pop on a power adder. Now price again.

Want another route? With this hobby being as popular as it is, and the people involved as knowledgeable as they are, why don't you see tons of 302s in Chevys?

Want yet another alternative view? If you are looking at someone who apparently has not built a single motor, has no idea how to plan a buildup in stages over time and wants to attempt making up for the lack of displacement by using a higher compression (mind you on a motor that has been planned to have a power adder on it later), do you really think they have any realistic view on what a 302 can produce as compared to a larger displacement motor?

My question to 'Building a 302' would be either 'Why?' or 'What year Mustang?'.
I don't think I'm the one making a mistake here. And it doesn't matter whether or not a Moderator or even you try to change this man's vision. If you think I'm saying that a 302 will make more power than a larger displacement engine, you're wrong. What I'm trying to get across is that the original poster has something very specific in mind for his ride. How would you like it if you posted for advice on how to build a 427 c.i. smallblock and everybody started dissing your vision? Would you feel like everybody was trying to help you as you requested if all anybody did was say, "What the heck are you thinking? Do you have any idea how much miney that's gonna cost? Do what everyboby else is doing and build a 383!" You wouldn't like it anymore than the person who made this post. The reason is simple. You have a specific way that you envision your vehicle. You didn't post because you wanted opinions on how you should build your vehicle. You posted because you wanted some input on bringing your vision to life. I'd like to think that everybody here could put the issue of "no replacement for displacement" on the back burner and try to help this guy out. And the final piece that everyone seems so willing to overlook is that in the end it's his money to spend in whatever way he likes. He's not asking you whether or not you think he's spending his money wisely. He's asking you to help him make the most use of his money in the pursuit of his vision. Is that so hard to understand? If everybody followed the same vision as the next guy, then there would be nothing to appreciate. All the vehicles would be the same and the heart and soul of this hobby would be dead. That's what I'm defending, and that's why I posted information that would be of use to the original poster. Think about it. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08
I have one site for you. www.hotrodders.com

Unless your talking about run of the mill engines dont bother posting on this board.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:53 PM

Car: '88 IROC convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r
touchy

touchy, touchy. take a pamprin or something.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Supreme Member

Re: building a 302

OK. In all fairness, I'll do what the guy asks for.

Originally posted by ridecamro
so plz don't say no replacement for displacement
OK. I won't.

Why?

Because there is a replacement for displacement. Know what it is?

More displacement.

i know the story but i've dne my research so any comments or pryor experiances in building a 302 would be helpfull
I already stated my "experience" with building a 302. I wouldn't waste my time unless I was looking to refurbish an original DZ302, or something along those lines.
.... what to look out for...
A car with an engine bigger than a 302.
... or what to do...
Save up a lot of money to build the engine you're wanting.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:48 AM

Car: 1987 TA
Engine: 350 stock/twecked
BUILD YOUR 302 THAT IS WHAT OTHERS TOLD ME TO DO WHEN i DID THE 327. $8000 LATER AND A HYDROWED MOTORBIG DEAL **** HAPPEENS. I was quiet a ride 405 hp before the no2. well life is short play hard. I would get a 350 votec motor and put in a bigger cam and then a dicent carb to have fun with untill your 302 is done.. forget others and what they say be your owen fperson-- I know that you can get 302 parts off the shelf--just find an old 283 block that can be bored way out, can't remember how far, but there was a thicker block that could be bored to a 302. I know a guy who did this with a good seat of camel backs and solid bump stick and a 750 cfm dp and he ran 11.05 in a 2nd gen in the 1/4

later and

GB

rk
Old 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
why do you guys insist upon the stock block.
do you really tyink the stock block is going to handle 1000hp and 8000rpms?

the guy talks as though his head is in the clouds and with his birthday of April 23, 1987 being only what 18? I doubt he is making enough money off hand to support such a task.

possible yes but doubtfull

also this constructive critisism isn't all that bad. in a way it might actually be helping.

other things to think of. you say you plan on taking your time and building this thing right. even doing that chances are parts will not last and you will be replacing things often. you prolly will spend moretim transmissions like to break, driveshafts, axles, rear ends. thats not counting all the things in the motor that can go wrong. but speaking of those things outside of the motor you said you plan on using a 6speed correct? might I ask which one? a t56 I honestly wouldn't think would last that long doing 8000rpms and 1000hp. what about those axles and rear end? the clutch what type do you plan on using? also you said it was using a paxton supercharger right? which one did you use in the desktop dyno? what boost level where you running in the simulation as well?

with making the chasssis stronger what type of roll cage are we talking here? you said sub frame connectors thats a start at least as well as the cage but your prolly going to need a lot more then that.

you might have built a few 350 hp motors. that is quite a bit different then a 1000hp motor. also building a motor doesn't mean anything when it comes to the rest of the car

if your dreaming I have no problem man I have had many myself. biggest one is to make my accord a sleeper and fast. but I know it's a dream but still would be nice.
if your honest about this I wish you luck and DEEP pockets
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 AM

ok rx7 why can't a block take 8k rpm i thought the rotating assembly is balance and streaght is what determinds the rpm limt to this also springs balancer cam and ect ect.. yes as you might think i'm only 18 well i work my *** off to get money i'm in college and i still do side jobs and work at ups i get 3k a year i'm work thier for 2 years i plan on saving this money to bulild this motor the 3k a year is tuition renbusment form ups and i don't have to pay for school thanks to my grandpa may he rest in peace. know a little constuctive critisim is good and all but the whole no replacement thing is getting really old.. don't you think i'm smart enough and been on this borad enough to have used it or herd it. ok next, agian plz don't be like you making a mistake i think this motor will rock and so be it ok. thats it know if you have anything to add let it be use full i've gotten some good things out of this and well something that just get anoyying

ohh and for everythign else you said about the axle's and all that.. don't you think i haven't thought about all this before.. in highschool all i ever did was dream about moding the hell out of my camaro what suspension would i run what axle should i use. tranny etc ect blah blah blah you get it thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 03:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
ok rx7 why can't a block take 8k rpm i thought the rotating assembly is balance and streaght is what determinds the rpm limt to this also springs balancer cam and ect ect.. yes as you might think i'm only 18 well i work my *** off to get money i'm in college and i still do side jobs and work at ups i get 3k a year i'm work thier for 2 years i plan on saving this money to bulild this motor the 3k a year is tuition renbusment form ups and i don't have to pay for school thanks to my grandpa may he rest in peace. know a little constuctive critisim is good and all but the whole no replacement thing is getting really old.. don't you think i'm smart enough and been on this borad enough to have used it or herd it. ok next, agian plz don't be like you making a mistake i think this motor will rock and so be it ok. thats it know if you have anything to add let it be use full i've gotten some good things out of this and well something that just get anoyying

ohh and for everythign else you said about the axle's and all that.. don't you think i haven't thought about all this before.. in highschool all i ever did was dream about moding the hell out of my camaro what suspension would i run what axle should i use. tranny etc ect blah blah blah you get it thanks

first the block might handle 8000rpms but a stock block handle 1000hp? I doubt it. everyone here keeps saying stock block stock block and 1000hp is going to be a problem

and you know I actually was trying to help you. yes I gave some critisim but I also tried asking some questions for you to see what you had planned

but you came back with this and since you gave this line

"ohh and for everythign else you said about the axle's and all that.. don't you think i haven't thought about all this before.. in highschool all i ever did was dream about moding the hell out of my camaro what suspension would i run what axle should i use. tranny etc ect blah blah blah you get it thanks"
I assume you don't need help right?
you thought this through correct?
so why are you here if you thought this through and know everythying?

you want the help or not? as it sits now with what your saying and how your talking I take it no because you know what your doing.
have fun. good luck
and btw you might want to find a better job. 3k a year isn't going to get you much
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

396 i built for my car cost 4000 and was basically a stock rebuild/upgrade, but then again a 396 isn't 302 and i'm not sure if i've built 3 engines in the past or not so it may all be monkey spank.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08
Here is post on the subject and there is even a breakdown with the parts you will need to make it happen. I dont know abut making 1000hp but at least you can get an idea of what it would take to build.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/crat...02-a-2352.html

350 block (10105123)
L99 5.94" rods (12495072)
L99 3" crank (10243911)
any 350 pistons
any sbc heads
L99 cranks can be had for $200 and a set of rods for $250.

Last edited by shaggy56; 09-21-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Do you plan on driving this 1000 hp engine on the street???

That should be interesting. Drivability is going to be non-existant.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:33 PM

no this will not be a street car if i can hit the 1000hp range. when i was talking about the ups thing i'm also making money also.. i just get a check in my name for 1500 every six months for going to school on top of that my normal pay so i figure i'll have some parts maybe a crank and a block by 6 months know if you don't belive me i about the other motors well then you can belive that but i have. thanks shaggy for the link.

any one know who makes a good set of H beam rods?

what kind of FI should i go? i don't have much knowlege in FI i know how it all works but i don't know who makes good intakes and MPFI. or SFI i'm not sure any help on this would be great also. thank you
Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
So what are your intentions for this engine then? So far the only thing I've seen is that it has to be a 302.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

I don't think I'm the one making a mistake here. And it doesn't matter whether or not a Moderator or even you try to change this man's vision. If you think I'm saying that a 302 will make more power than a larger displacement engine, you're wrong. ...How would you like it if you posted for advice on how to build a 427 c.i. smallblock and everybody started dissing your vision? ...
Mistake? Only mistake is trying to limit what I, or anyone else can 'say' on the board. Not your job, not your board. I never saaid you thought a 302 would have the same potential.

If I posted on this board a question of that type (though I rather heavily doubt I would) I know who I'd listen to and most all of those know my general abilities. I'm sure I'd get as an appropriate response from ede as he put here, though it likely would read very different.

You then get to the real issue behind mine, ede'd, Rx's etc. responses. This guy is a kid with shallow pockets, glazed over and unrealistic vision and not much experience. If he attempts putting together a motor of that power himself, I'd say it either dynos at half the HP or blows up trying to spin it.

...3k a year ...but the whole no replacement thing is getting really old.. don't you think i'm smart enough and been on this borad enough to have used it or herd it. ...

Keep saving. It's never been overstated. I don't know, you're not showing it, especially by your absolute murdering of the English language and complete lack of grammer, no, in reflection, I don't think your smart enough.

Apparently not. $3k a yer, probably don't know half the things you can do to the parts let alone what's out there and I'm not sure you have any idea what could actually withstand behind a 1,000 HP motor.

As for the induction, you should probably fabricate one. Barring that you would likely find yourself looking for a hogan intake or something similar. How much do those go for?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

any one know who makes a good set of H beam rods?

It's been my understanding that with a smaller CI engine a heavier rod would not be as nessecary as in a larger displacement engine.
Of course if you're serious about that 1000HP mark then H beams might be a good call.
The Eagle site here shows listings for almost any size rod that you could ask for. http://www.eaglerod.com/products/Che...%20cranks.html
And weights as well.

The idea posted earlier, for using the 5.94" L99 PMrods with a 350 piston is a good one too.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by shaggy56
Here is post on the subject and there is even a breakdown with the parts you will need to make it happen. I dont know abut making 1000hp but at least you can get an idea of what it would take to build.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/crat...02-a-2352.html
I pretty much explained what needed to be done for that to work, but again (as mentioned by that Wankel guy), that's using stock parts.

A stock L99 crank won't handle 1,000 HP. Stock 5.94" rods from an L99 won't handle 1,000 HP. Finding pistons that can take 1,000 HP that are light enough for the shorter stroke crank (read "small counter weights") are going to be expensive. Plus you're attaching them to stock rods and a stock crank.

Or if Mallory metal has to be added to the crank to offset heavier pistons. But you're adding the weight to a stock crank and stock rods.

One more thing. Enter that part number for the crank at any GM parts website and see what the price comes to. I don't know where that guy got his prices, but that was then, this is now.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/search.asp?s...3911&doquery=1

Last edited by AJ_92RS; 09-21-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Car: 1987 TA
Engine: 350 stock/twecked
you should all know that there is factory appearing drags where cars are deepinto the 9's with stock blocks, heads, intakes, exaust and carbs. the nhra is thinking of mandating cages in them for saftyu reasons. these are cars from the sixties--you have to keep it stock appearing, but the internals are done up hardjacketed bored stroked ported polished hoged out get the point and yes I have seen dinoed blocks with 800 hp and they where factory 400s stroked put to a 434 and they do live if they are done right

dose the guy have the money not my problem, yes there is to different theriories also there is the buick stage 2 and stage one(231 turbo factory on GN's) that live all day with 800 hp factory or not that is the question? we can slam each other or agree to disagree- in my opion if he wants it for a daily driver do a turbo big block 4 bolt main with all the aftermarket goodies and yes use a factory high nickle block

have a great day and

GB

rick
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Funny, last I checked NHRA required 'roll bars' in anything quicker than 12.00 in the quarter and full cages in anything quicker than 10.00. I'd love to see something in the NHRA rues that lets a 9.xx car run without any type of cage. Unless you're talking 1/8 mile drags.

And a stroked 400 with block and guts that've been hard jacketed, nitrided, cryogenically treated, heat treated, chromed, coated, etc. is far from 'stock'.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
FAST racing isn't an NHRA class. Most NHRA tracks would still turn a blind eye, since speeds on the older cars are usually limited by the tires anyway.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Ah...
Old 09-23-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Red Devil
Mistake? Only mistake is trying to limit what I, or anyone else can 'say' on the board. Not your job, not your board. I never saaid you thought a 302 would have the same potential.

If I posted on this board a question of that type (though I rather heavily doubt I would) I know who I'd listen to and most all of those know my general abilities. I'm sure I'd get as an appropriate response from ede as he put here, though it likely would read very different.

You then get to the real issue behind mine, ede'd, Rx's etc. responses. This guy is a kid with shallow pockets, glazed over and unrealistic vision and not much experience. If he attempts putting together a motor of that power himself, I'd say it either dynos at half the HP or blows up trying to spin it.

Keep saving. It's never been overstated. I don't know, you're not showing it, especially by your absolute murdering of the English language and complete lack of grammer, no, in reflection, I don't think your smart enough.

Apparently not. $3k a yer, probably don't know half the things you can do to the parts let alone what's out there and I'm not sure you have any idea what could actually withstand behind a 1,000 HP motor.

As for the induction, you should probably fabricate one. Barring that you would likely find yourself looking for a hogan intake or something similar. How much do those go for?
I don't remember telling anyone that they couldn't post on the board. I only stated that the original poster said he already knew about the "No replacement for displacement" statement and asked for people not to post if they were only going to say that. Ede wasn't very supportive and his title isn't just moderator, there's a supporter attached to that. Is it too much to ask for someone to respect his wishes? If a supporter doesn't, then why should anyone else. The supporter/moderators on this site set the tempo. You should know that, you're a moderator yourself on another site. Moderators lead by example. In other words, if the moderator thinks it's okay to dis somebody, then everybody does. We all know about the advantages of more cubes, but as I have stated time and again, he has a vision of what he wants. Sure the guy needs an aftermarket block to support that power level, if he achieves it. I've stated as much in another post. My point is that in the end it's his money to spend. Just like I can't tell people whether or not they can post, in the end you can't tell him how to spend his cash. So, why don't you help him with whatever knowledge you possess instead of slamming his combo?

Quick Reply: building a 302