Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

building a 302

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
in ede's defence he as others what they might be trying to do is prevent someone from building something they are going to regret.
how would you feel if you spent all this time and money to get results nowhere near what you where expecting to get?

also some of the things the orignal poster said made it sound as though he is more thinking of how to build this rather then actually going to be able to go through the act.
and at making 3k a year putting together a 1000hp 302 I don't think it is going to happen for a while. maybe that is what ede saw also.

the one thing ede could use though is some tact... but then again his being so blunt is funny at times. and a nice quality. he doesn't sugar coat it he just lays it how it is not how you want to hear it.

he shouldn't have to say he's sorry for that

oh and after you have been here for a while maybe you wil lsee why some of the old timers around here ar ethat way.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Originally posted by iroczracer07
I don't remember telling anyone that they couldn't post on the board. ...there's a supporter attached to that.

...You should know that, you're a moderator yourself on another site. Moderators lead by example.

... So, why don't you help him with whatever knowledge you possess instead of slamming his combo?
Originally posted by iroczracer07
... Especially since he specifically posted that if you had nothing but negative input you shouldn't post at all. Way to go guys. ...
The inference from your reference above would be one of 'don't post since he asked you not to' which also would be advocating that position since you posted it, hence the reference to both of you in my post.

As for the 'supporter' thing, that's anyone who gave Dirk some cash for the site. I did that way back when, didn't this time because we have a slew of sponsors, regardless, 'supporter' means nothing.

Moderator on the other hand is more akin to a babysitter, especially at this site, or are one for any slew of specific reasons, knowledge may be one (like ede). Leading by example would be something akin to ede trying to get everyone to see the futility of dreaming/planning/spending/attempting beyond their abilities and trying to keep their feet on the ground. I think he did that.

He has a personality like my Grandfather, strait, wry, to the point. I think that's a perfectly fine example, not everyone in life has to be PC and nice. Blunt and honest comes much easier as you get older too. ede is probably juuust getting in stride. :P

As for helping him, I took the same track ede did, just a bit nicer, I'm not as old, however, that doesn't cange the fact that I don't think he can pull it off successfully. It's easier to get a decent motor from bigger cubes than trying to put together a good 302.

And comparing Enginemaster competition engines to TGO built engines is akin to comparing a US Thermonuclear warhead platform to a suicide bomber or the F-18A Hornet to a P-51 Mustang. Just can't do it. Those engines are al properly built, most on here don't even know how to properly blueprint a motor.

Ok, off the soapbox.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 250
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock??
i'm planing on building this motor just over a pireod of time i know it'll cost alot but i plan on this motor being built so i was trying to get some parts ppl have used before and some good combinations i might just be coping the DZ302 with some mods to that. thanks for the"help"
Old 09-24-2005, 10:10 AM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 310 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 w/2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Originally posted by rx7speed
in ede's defence he as others what they might be trying to do is prevent someone from building something they are going to regret.
how would you feel if you spent all this time and money to get results nowhere near what you where expecting to get?

oh and after you have been here for a while maybe you wil lsee why some of the old timers around here ar ethat way.
I agree 100%, however, no one likes to be taught life lessons that really need to be learned by experience. I tried this with my brother-in-law, and it didnt work at all.

When he (if he) gets it all done and it isnt something he likes, he will have learned and will end up like the old timers, but if it IS something he likes then he has accomplished a goal and that is something to be proud of and something we should support. I come to TGO for advice and tech help, but some people dont want advice, they want tech help, we should respect that.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:33 AM

Car: 87 Firebird
Engine: 350, 416's, 230/230 cam, torkerII, q-jet
Transmission: T5
Re: building a 302

Originally posted by ridecamro
hey guys i'm going to be building a 302 when i get out of this school in a year.. i just wanna start planing for this.. more or less i wanna high end reving 302 so with a power band around 2-8k

i will ethier be turboing this or superchargin later not sure

Originally posted by kevinc
i want a pony, and i want an ice cream cone, and i want candy, and i want a puppy
Old 09-24-2005, 12:10 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 310 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 w/2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Re: building a 302

Originally posted by rustybluebird
I want a pony
No pony, buy a 350
Old 09-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
This is an interesting thread.

I can be supportive of a guy who wants to build a 302.
Cause hey! If someone's idea of a good time is shifting at 8,000 and they don't mind losing races to guys with more cubes, I have no problem with that at all.

But then, when a guy comes along who hasn't learned to spell yet, and he wants to find out how to build a streetsble 1000hp 302 with a 2-8k powerband... Well... He might as well just take a seat on the dunk tank.

But still, threads like this are more interesting to me than the ones where someone posts the question "how should I build a 350?" when all he would have had to do is search the posts from the previous day do find his answer.

Half the topic of this thread has become whether it's justifiable to spank someone who posts these sort of questions, with these unreasonable expectations that defy the laws of physics.

I say yes and no.

I sort of felt sorry for Shane sometimes.
But I always read his threads with a twisted sense of glee just to find out what kind of abuse he was setting himself up for this time.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Sweet jesus, somebody kill this awful thread.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Since you don't like the fact that people might want to make it clear that they wouldn't build the engine - to keep people from thinking that they might,,, then I shouldn't have posted on your thread. I'm sorry for posting the info I just removed.

Last edited by BadSS; 09-24-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 250
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock??
alright hey wanna make fun of my spelling great that doesn't mean i don't know how to build a motor know ANSWER THE *** DAMN QUESTION know enough BS about i would only well you not know if I want to BUILD this motor then I AM GOING TO know a LITTLE HELP would be nice and ppl should stop saying i wouldn't do it
Old 09-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
Choose a powerband that's about 4000rpm wide.

If you want 8k, then your power isn't going to start coming on til 4k or higher.

So, realistically... Where do you REALLY want your power band to be?
That would be a good place to start.

I'm in agreement with badSS about the rods and flattop pistons.

Don't get a DZ302. There's a lot to be improved upon there. The pistons are domed and the rods are 5.7".
If you do some research, you'll find that the weight gain of a longer rod will be offset by the weight savings of a shorter piston.
A lot of the sites that sell pistons and rods list the weights as well, check that out.

these guys have listings for rods and pistons, the 6.250" Eagle featherweight might be good for your build, along with some 350/6"rod pistons.