Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

what is this florida cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001 | 11:52 AM

what is this florida cold?

ok its been getting cold down here and i know i am going to need somewhat of a heater. i had to take disconect it all because my new engine did not have the right connector in the back were it hooked in the heater core. i

plan #1 was wondering if i could take the tube that goes to the back of the manifold and goes tot he heater core and hook it up to the front of the manifold right next to the coolent temp senor becasue my new manifold has a few extra up there that i can tap in to.

Plane #2 the pluge in to the water pump the line on it that is pulged with a plastic screw on thing, its a stock water pump .the tube that whent to the back of the manifold would go in there and run in to the heater core and run a long my enigne bay and go into the radiator,

i really dont know the rought of all of this stuff and dont know if it would interfear with anything such as cooling the engine or anything so i have asked you guys
thank you
danny
Old 10-28-2001 | 11:58 AM

I would take the easy way out. Go to the store and buy one of thoses heaters that plug into your cig lighter.
Old 10-28-2001 | 12:07 PM

lmao, never thought about that
i either need to use all of the stuff in there or need to rip it out.
Old 10-28-2001 | 12:48 PM
20 Year Member

FB,

It would probably be easier and more effective to use the cooling system than to try to retrofit an electric heater.

What car/year/engine/fuel system do you have? Most of what you need is probably already there. A hose fitting here and there should get the hot water back to your heater core. If you have a 1989 or later car, there might be one connection at the right radiator tank, all ready to recieve a heater return hose, and the fitting on the water pump can be uncapped and used for a pressure line, but th emost effective place to tap hot coolant is at the head or intake crossover.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
If you want to beat the World, it might reach up and pull you down...
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 10-28-2001 | 07:44 PM

lol was not really serious about that electic stuff.

i have a 92 firebird that had a lo3 tbi, now i have a gm 350 Ho with vortec heads and preformer rpm intake.

do you mean the left side, the passsenger side? if so i had the stock system go though the the radiator off the left side and go in ot the heater core and then go into the intake manifold.

ok if thats what you are talking about on the the radiator,

1# i can run one line from the radiator goes in to the heater core then goes into the water pump.

2# run the same but instead of going in to the water pump go in to the intake manifold, the hole in the intake manifold goes right next to the coolent temp sensor, i have i think 3 holes there. i am also wondering if i can even run it that way if it would mess up the coolent temp sensor from the change in temp there?

whats the best method #1 or #2?
any one feel free to respond,
thanks again vader
Old 10-29-2001 | 02:33 PM

btt
i need to do this today!! it was COLD OUT SIDE today!! i just wanna know wich way would be the best
thanks again
Old 10-29-2001 | 03:41 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Wait, wait, wait. The water pump and the radiator nipple are BOTH return points. You wouldn't have any delta-pressure, and therefore no flow through the heater core.

You need to feed the heater core from the intake manifold (5/8" hose), and run the return to EITHER the water pump OR the radiator nipple (3/4" hose). And, yes, the radiator nipple is on the passenger side (right side when sitting behind the wheel), just below the cap, if so equiped.

Didn't you say a couple of months ago that you are a transplant to Florida, and didn't need a heater?

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car, now w/86 LG4/TH700R4. 2.93 limited slip. 2-1/2" cat-back, ZZ4 intake, Accel HEI SuperCoil. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily driver, work-in-progress (ported World 305 heads, Crane PowerMax cam, Hooker 2055 headers, 3" Catco cat & 3" catback w/Flowmaster, restalled TC, Spohn SFCs).
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. '66 396, 9.7 CR forged TRWs, Weiand Action+, Holley 750VS w/4150 conversion, GK 270 cam, Magnum rockers, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" Hedders & 3" Warlocks, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & Trans-Scat shift kit, MegaShifter, 3.08 8.2" 10-bolt w/Powertrax, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Idles smooth @ 600 RPM in D. Best 15.02/95.06 @ 5800' Bandimere (corrected 13.93/102.4 @ sea level).
Old 10-29-2001 | 03:51 PM

well.... so.. lol you got me there just forgot how cold florida could get :P

see thats what i did not understand wich way the water was flowing, now i do thanks, going to store now to pic up the peices