Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Chinese stuff wont be cheap anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08
Chinese stuff wont be cheap anymore.

For years everyone claimed that the Chinese parts were inferior even though I have never seen any proof of this ever. But the most recent issue article of HotRod explains the real reason why these parts are cheap. In fact this may sway you away from Chinese parts more so than the original reason so many seem to bash them for.

It seems that Chinese knock-off speed parts might not be so cheap much longer. The Chinese invasion into not only the automotive aftermarket, but into the entire American economy, is being contested by the U.S. Congress for unfair exchange-rate manipulation. According to the Senate and House of Representatives, China intentionally undervalues its currency's market value by 15 to 40 percent. Thats makes Chinese products cheaper than they should be, resulting in an unfair advantage price-wise. Ohio Democrat Timothy J. Ryan introduced a bill sponsored by California republican Ducan Hunter that calls for a 27.5 percent tariff on all Chinese products if the country doesnt revalue its currency. Hunter is concerned that China is using billions of dollars generated from currency manipulation to buy illicit weapons from Russia and other countries.
This includes manufactures like Eagle, Scat, Cat, etc.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:16 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
I'd be hard pressed to find anything in my ride that is from china. Im not of the r y c e persuasion so.. this sounds like a good thing.. I don't know all of the politics behind it, but fair trade sounds "fair" to me.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '83 Berli, '84 Berli, '84 Z28 HO
Engine: L69, LG4, L69
Transmission: TH700-R4, TH700-R4, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.08, 3.73 Posi
China's currency is thier own deal.. thier people have to deal with it.. so it is not going to be helping them eitherway... next they wil go after malaysia, india, japan, korea, and tiawan because thier money is worth less than ours too.. heh.. if they want cheaper parts here.. then the companies should not go overseas and the economy would be better lol..

As for not having any parts from china.. better check in your ecm... i am sure there are plenty of chips in that ecm made in china.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Old news. The US (as well as other nations) has been complaining about that off and on for a while. It's nothing really new, the current low value of the dollar in conjunction with escalating fuel and raw material costs is. This is a veiled attempt to hasten a collapse in China's value and market power. Or something like that.

And the inferiority is the low end $1 crapola. Ex. that $15 grinder that caught fire after 5 minutes of use....

Was that a good IBTL answer?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08
It may be old news but I left the last line off the article saying that congress is going to do something about it for sure since alot of folks are behind this. This issue has hit the highest levels of congress as of recently so I cant see how its old news.

Last edited by shaggy56; 09-04-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
I just have one word to say about it...Good

No Chinese parts on my car unless it's something GM put in it new.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
More expensive parts? Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Anything thats Made in China needs to be cheaper because thats the only motive that most of us have to even think about buying it. They must know this already, if they dont then *** help them. If you look at a wrench that either says Craftsman and another that says "china brand" for the same price what are you to think? Hmm do I support America, or do I support China? Ok I'm not racist but I live in America so I'll get the Craftsman. Or... you may think of that taiwan wrench that broke in half on you as you smashed your knuckle into the engine... hmm taiwan and china are different but they both are over seas so.. Craftsman it is. The only way they will get my money is if its cheaper, and they did on a steering wheel puller.. that broke.. and caused me to go to sears and get a Craftsman.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '83 Berli, '84 Berli, '84 Z28 HO
Engine: L69, LG4, L69
Transmission: TH700-R4, TH700-R4, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.08, 3.73 Posi
A few questions however.. Why are products that are made in china no longer going to be as cheep? Certainly china will not increase the price of it's products, so that leaves government taxes and tarriffs to raise the prie of the good, or the store to raise the price of the good. Either way china will still not be seeing any more income, but the government and states surely will.. sounds like another way for the Government to screw people out of money.. Pretty sad when our own government makes it harder for it's citizens to buy things.. considering every electronic appliance, computer part, basiclly if it has electricity, it has something from china in it, if it is not completely made there... sooo. All of that will increase in price.. not just auto parts.. Couple that with the ever increaseing gas costs.. which lead to everything we buy being more expensive yet.. and wow.. look at that.. everyone ends up buy alot lewss because thier jobs are not providing enough income to keep up with the current spending trend... which will mean a decrease in the economic growth.. with wil send the country down a little further...