Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Still Smelling Gas Outside of Car, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Still Smelling Gas Outside of Car, PLEASE HELP!

This is becoming a problem, I parked the car in the garage today and I started smelling gas inside the house about 10 mins after I stepped in. I went around everywhere to look for anything that might cause this foul smell. I went around the house, kitchen, a/c area, bathrooms everywhere couldnt find the source. So then I went out to the garage and shabloom, there was the stench of it all, all swirling around in that garage, and it reeked of gasoline. Somehow it managed to seep its way through the doors and into my house (NOT GOOD AT ALL)

I checked around the gas tank area, looked in there and I noticed at the fuel tank where you stick the nozzle into fill her up with gas, there's something damp at the top. What does this mean, its evaporating gas everywhere in the gas tank and I cant let this continue happening. Do I need a new fuel pump? Do I need a new charcoal canister filter or just the whole thing itself?

What the hell is wrong with my car, this isn't good at all and I want to get this fixed asap. I am taking it in tomorrow for an engine tuneup because it needs service, shall I mention this problem to them?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 AM

Car: '92 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
I've had trouble getting the gas cap tight when the weather is hot. Used silicone grease on the threads and slowly tighten it. Works OK now.

A more common occurrence is that the filler neck to tank joint is leaking. From under the car use a flashlight and look at that area for gas stains. If so, then it is leaking.

There is a recall on this issue from GM for the '91 and '92 cars.

Al.

{edit: I thought I recognized your name, did you check anything that was posted in this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=312576

}

Last edited by 92_ZED; 08-18-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:37 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Incidentally, there should be no EVAP canister filter on your '91. IIRC, that was dropped during the 1987 model year for the aforementioned non-servicable canister.

If the fuel filler neck appears to be intact, you may also want to check the tank pressure control valves. There is one for the EVAP system, a safety, and the final safety in the fuel filler cap itself. There should be a little pressure present during warm temperatures, and you can verify that by cracking the filler cap loose and listening for pressure escaping.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:46 AM

Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
well the SES light came on, it doesnt stay on, it kinda flickers on and off at random points, I'll be doing a full on service tune up this upcoming month...I have no time....

Hopefully that'll help, I believe my fuel filter may be bad. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 350 but it's torn down right now.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: I'm working on it,lol.
I think 92_zed has revealed the problem that causes the gas stench. The wetness you refer to where the gas filler neck reaches the tank says as much. The light might have something to do with a completely different issue. Fix the filler neck problem first.