Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

gasoline came out of #2 spark plug hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-R4
gasoline came out of #2 spark plug hole

Hello, I am having problems with my 1989 GTA. Recently, I have noticed that my car has started missing really bad, and has some white smoke at the tailpipes. It is worse when the car gets hot. It is not overheating. There is a strong smell of gas. Yesterday, I decided to start working on it by first changing the spark plugs. My question is, when I pulled out the #2 spark plug, gasoline poured out of the hole. The plug looked fine exept for normal wear. Any Ideas what would cause this? By the way, the engine is the 5.7. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: gasoline came out of #2 spark plug hole

Originally posted by onesmokingta
Hello, I am having problems with my 1989 GTA. Recently, I have noticed that my car has started missing really bad, and has some white smoke at the tailpipes. It is worse when the car gets hot. It is not overheating. There is a strong smell of gas. Yesterday, I decided to start working on it by first changing the spark plugs. My question is, when I pulled out the #2 spark plug, gasoline poured out of the hole. The plug looked fine exept for normal wear. Any Ideas what would cause this? By the way, the engine is the 5.7. Thank you.
If TPI, possible injector stuck open. disconnect the number #2 injector, smoking should stop.

My '88 once smoked (gray color,) got worse as it warmed up. Plugs were showing a rich condition.
The ECM Coolant Temperaute Sensor was reading about 25°F when the engine was cold, and the garage ambient temp was 78°F, and never it read higher then 40°F whe I stuck it in boiling water.

The Diagostics only checks to see that the reading isn't out of range (20°<>210°) which is wasn't so no SES, or trouble code.
Put in a new sensor, and the smoking stopped.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-R4
Thanks

Thanks for the info. If I ever get those last three pesky spark plugs changed on the passengers side, I will try that.