Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Save My Sanity Pls!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005 | 02:53 PM

Car: 1979 Firebird Esprit Redbird, 1987 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 301ci, 305ci
Transmission: T/H350, 700R4
Save My Sanity Pls!!!

This is gonna be a long story, so you might wanna grab some popcorn. This is about my 87 T/A 305 TPI

Bout 3 months ago my car was running fine(other than not having 3rd and 4th gear)
Then it just started running like crud(off idle surge and bogging)
It was showing 2 codes(egr valve and ecu or fuel pump or solenoid)
I changed the egr valve and it started running fine again, i went to take it for a test drive and i guess took it a little too far, cause when it got to operating temps(160*) it shut off and wouldnt restart). My dad and i did what a guy at a dealership told him how to clear the trouble codes and it started. still bogging and surging i got about 500 yards and it shut off again. Figured wed do it again and it would run... nope... ended up having to get it towed home.
checked the codes and it came up with the bad ecu or fuel pump, or solenoid code again. So i got a new ecu bout a week later and plugged it in and then i went to start it and it wouldnt crank, wouldnt turn light on either, so i figure battery dead... took the battery into my work today to test it and sure enough it was dead. so since i was still in the free replacment period i grabbed a new optima and ran home. put it in and now it cranks but wont start. I am getting fuel at the fuel rail. I am not sure if im getting spark. do you guys think that would be my problem. before i had a problem with a wire coming off the distributor, under cap on the shaft(forget what its called, maybe the pickup?) do you think it might have fallen off again and thats why it isnt starting? I just wanna get it runniong so i can drive untill i get the money to drop the 400 engine in... any help you can give is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2005 | 02:25 PM
20 Year Member

do you guys think that would be my problem.
One problen I can identify is in replacing components without diagnosis. I'm thinking that you may have wasted time/money on an ECM that could have been spent on a distributor or fuel pump.

Verify the actual fuel pressure at the rail, not just the presence of fuel.

Remove a spark plug wire, hold it within ¼" of a good engine ground, and have an assistant crank the engine while you monitor for spark. That should determine whether that is a problem or not.