Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro iroc-z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Fuel issue ?

Today i drove down to get some exhaust work wielded up for me, drove there just fine, i parked and walked inside ... when i walked back out to pull the car into the one of the garage bays, it started .. when i tossed it in reverse it stalled, did this about 10 times trying to get to the bay doors .. it started out firing up after stalling each time then after about the 10th or so time it just refused to turn over, sprayed some starter fluid and it roared alive long as you held the pedel down, now it won't start but trys to turn over with some fluid .... i've never had to mess with anything dealing with fuel .... does this possibly sound like the fuel sending unit? Can the filter get that clogged it just refuses to send, i'm just simply looking for a place to start, kinda t-off with this thing now .... any ideas would be wonderfull or post forward links if i missed any previous posts with this issue, before i forget, its a 1990 camaro iroc-z 350 ...
Jay
Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
What doesnt make sense, is that the car runs with the gas held down. Usually if the filter is clogged THAT bad, or the pump is failing, opening the throttle adds more air, which makes the mixture leaner, and if the fuel system is clogged, it cant compensate, which usually results in a heavy bog or immediate stall. But you said starter fluid helps, which DOES sound like a fuel issue.

But check fuel pressure at the schrader valve with a gauge....if pressure is low or irregular, replace the fuel filter and check again....and repost back.

Last edited by Nixon1; 07-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Ok, i know i posted this weeks ago, but i just got out there today and check some things out, first off ... fuel pump is loud and clear and seems to be working, fuel filter is allowing gas thro the in-out, seems fine ... tryed starter fluid again, i got a bog then click-click, nothing .... for ****s and giggles i checked for spark once again from the ignition coil and something i thought worked, seems doesn't wanna spark out ... reason for this was 2-3 months ago i replaced the ignition module .... someone was telling me to get the ECM checked, is this the cars computer or the computer chip itself which they said controls "timing/spark/fuel" which seems to be my problem, i only work on cars to keep um running so i'm a noob in many areas, so please, don't hurt me. =]

Any further advise would be greatfull!

90 camaro iroc-z
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Maybe the ICM failed...see if you can exchange it, since ya just bought it. Also, did you apply lots of dielectric grease on the back? If you dont grease the hell out of em they can get heatsoak and be damaged, or fail
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 PM

yes, i used a considerable ammount of silicone spray along with the grease that came with the accel high performance ICM, i'm trying to find information on where to pull the ECS because my book keeps showing me the wrong locations and is worth more of a headache than a remedy .... i'd like to pull both back out and have them tested once again by advanced ....
Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 PM

ok, module/coil ok ... i changed the ecm and still no spark to the coil ... could the msd 6a have died on me ?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by darkage
ok, module/coil ok ... i changed the ecm and still no spark to the coil ... could the msd 6a have died on me ?
Its possible...they've died before!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 AM

ok, that didn't work either ... new questions "you guys are gonna learn to hate me yet heh" ... anyway, there's still no fire to coil ... first question, shouldn't i feel gas inside the intake from the injectors ? ... there's no fuel, there's gas flowing atleast up to the inlet, from there thro the fuel rails into the injectors i don't know, fuel clogged? .... its showing about 45-50 lbs of fuel pressure .. i've checked wires, they look ratty but i found no breaks or disconnections, everything seems to be properly grounded .... i'm starting to think the computer won't thro spark if there's no fuel to fire, i don't know if the ECM functions this way or not ... i can't figure it out, anyone else with ideas ?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059949
Old 08-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Someone could of told me a simple $17 dollor borg warner pickup coil could be the problem .... this is for future post views perhaps with the same problem ... granted had a read the manual this could of saved me a ecm and new ignition box ... the upside is, i know there new now .... ha .... silly pickup coil ...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Niiice... Don't see too many p/u coils fail!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:13 PM

Seems so but it was my last option, when i removed it from the distributor it was caked in green grease like acid .... copper wiring inside was begining to dust up .... i've never seen anything that bad ... tossed in the new one and it started up .... hit near dead center on timing with little tuning she's running great again ...

---- Another lesson learned.