Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ventilation Vacuum control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ventilation Vacuum control question

This is my first post on the board, so please bear with me. I recently purchased a 1985 Z28 5-speed that has an older generation 350 dropped in it (it is very fast).

My problem (and one that I figure most people have) is that when the older engine was put in, most of the sub systems on the car weren't hooked up properly - especially wiring issues.

I have been having problems with my interior ventilation system. I cannot get the vacuum controlled posisition selector (vent/defrost/heat, etc) to adjust - it simply goes to the dash vents all the time. It didn't do anything (even blow) until I removed the front panel, pulled out the unit and reseated all the wires and vacuum lines on the back of it. Also, the fan blower works since I did that, also.

How can I get the posistion selector to go to the different positions?

While I'm asking, what wire controls the factory temp gage? My temp gage is not hooked up...or if it is, it's not working. I think it's a dark green wire, but I've hooked up all the dark green wires I can find, but nothing works (I've tried to short out all the wires I can find, and the gage won't move - I guess it could be bad).

I am sure I will have many other things to ask - the car is in great shape, but needs a lot of little things (like above) done to it....Oh, one more thing - the A/C system is partially gone (no hoses or compressor) - but I'm sure the ventilation should work, correct?

Sorry this post was so long, but, hey, I'm new!

Here's some pictures of my car on my website:
http://users.dcr.net/~rcatron/z28.htm

thank you,
Rob Catron
Frankfort, KY
Old 09-15-2001, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Assuming you have the vacuum lines hooked up tight to the switch, and the switch will work, you most likely need to hook up the main vacuum line for the switch under the hood to a good vacuum source. Look on the firewall for a small, hard, black plastic line. It probably isn't hooked up. Defrost is the 'default' setting for the vents and without vacuum it will always be defrosting. Not sure on the guage, could be some bad wiring or like you said, just a bad guage.

------------------
350 with stealth intake, holley carb, 470 lift cam. 700r4 with .5 boost valve, vette servo, tci lock-up kit, B&M megashifter. Richmond 3.73 gears, powertrax locker, timkin bearings, synthetic lube. Custom 3 inch single into 2 2.5 pipes. 1 1/2 drop springs, 1 5/16 solid front sway bar, 1 inch rear bar, custom subframe connectors, custom LCA relocation brackets. Kobel ground FX, currant red metallic paint. Lots of other stuff...
82camaro
Old 09-15-2001, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info...what would be a "good vacuum source?"

thanks,
Rob

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 82camaro:
Assuming you have the vacuum lines hooked up tight to the switch, and the switch will work, you most likely need to hook up the main vacuum line for the switch under the hood to a good vacuum source. Look on the firewall for a small, hard, black plastic line. It probably isn't hooked up. Defrost is the 'default' setting for the vents and without vacuum it will always be defrosting. Not sure on the guage, could be some bad wiring or like you said, just a bad guage.

</font>