Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fixing Loose Tilt Steering. Got Stuck And Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing Loose Tilt Steering. Got Stuck And Need HELP!

I started to go through the process of fixing the loose tilt steering column and was following the tech article. There are a couple of places I got stuck.

"Unscrew the tilt steering lever"

Ok. What is the tilt steering lever, and where is the screw? I just don't see it, so if someone could describe it or even better, post a pic, I'd appreciate it.

"Now there's a circular thing under the spindle, using a big philips screw driver, push it down and turn it. Careful cause there's a spring under it. release the spring and remove it."

Is this circular thing bronze colored, about 3/4" in diameter and have a square hole in the middle? It would be below and slightly to the left of the spindle if it is. There is a pretty fat spring covered in grease behind it. How much force is required to push it down and get it to turn, because I can't get it to budge at all?

Thanks

------------------
82 Camaro:350, Erson cam, ported heads,Comp Cams 1.6:1 rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 600cfm, Crane Hi-6 ignition,
TH350 tranny with 2500 stall, Eibach Pro Kit, SLP 1 3/4" headers with 3" Flowmaster exhaust
Old 09-12-2001, 08:13 PM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Mac,

I've read the Tech Article, and it could be a little clearer, I'd agree.

The tilt lever is the actual lever you pull to release the pawls from the rack to tilt the column up or down. The entire lever itself screws into the base. You may have small flats on the shaft to help turn the lever, but I've generally been able to remove them by hand with a little "dedication".

The tilt counterbalance spring cap (the "circular thing under the spindle") does indeed have a square hole at its center. A #3 Phillips or large Robertson driver will engage the square and allow you to remove the cap. It is a bayonet-type mount, like tail lamp bulbs. Just push in and turn counter clockwise. As the article statesm there is a heavy coil spring under the cap. Raise the wheel to its highest position and lock it in place before removing the spring cap to relieve as much spring tension as possible.

It will take about 10 pounds of force to compress and remove the spring cap.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
Justice and Freedom will Prevail
Old 09-12-2001, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Vader. I'll tackle it again tommorrow after class.