Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

heads/cam for 383

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005 | 07:19 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
heads/cam for 383

I have now dropped my plans on getting a bare block 350 and starting from scratch. So I made a good find at the local J/Y. I found a 350 TPI Trans am. I'll be getting this motor with all accesories early next week.

I'm am currently building a 383 tpi motor. I was wondering if the heads listed below will work with the tpi or stealth ram intakes? Also, extra info on centerbolt styles will be helpfull. Feel free to rate these heads or recommend cheaper ones. lol

For headers, I plan on using Hooker Long Tubes and I also decided to go with the painless wiring harness because the J/Y people said it's too much money for them to take one out themselves.

I'm going to have the block bored .30 over and buy a rotating assembly from summit. It'll have flat top pistons with an estimated comp ration somewhere in the low 10's to 1.

I also need a recommendation on a cam package. This will be a mainly street car with maybe the occasional drag usage. I have a ford 9" which is soon to become a 3.73 posi.

Any helpfull and additional information will be greatly appreciated. This is my first SBC I will be rebuilding. My father is going to watch over and help me out with the process. We just arn't familiar with the aftermarket performance market in cars. If it is any help, I would be more than happy to achieve high 400's in HP ratings.

I'm also not sure about which rocker arms to go with. 1.5 or 1.6? Full Roller or Roller Tip?

PS: How do you tell if the TPI is speed density or MAF?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...splayPrice%7C1

Last edited by Dirtbik3r; 06-09-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2005 | 11:21 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
those trick flow heads would work great. 195 cc runners are great for 383. cant beat the price either

if your looking for 400+ hp from TPI, its gonna take abit of work. your gonna need fully aftermarket TPI setup, and possibly port it out for all the flow you can get. then look at 24lb injectors or maybe 30's but you would need to tune it for which ever one you use. 400+hp is very possible but its all in the components. trick flow heads are a good place to start. TPIS base or superram base and big tube runners or better yet, the AS&M siamesed runners would provide some good flow to make 400+hp

if all possible, go with the Stealth ram...much better choice. flows alot of air up over TPI's range. those heads should mate up good with the stealth ram.

for a cam with TPI, try something like a 224/230 grind with close to around .520-.550 inch of total lift, using whatever rocker ratio you want. comp cams extreme energy grind with about 113-114 LSA would make a nice streetable 383.

for stealth ram, i would go abit bigger. 224/230 would also work nice, but you can get away with a step up to 230/236. look into the new XFI cams from comp cams. designed for fuel injection, they should work extremely well with a 383 stealth ram. but also the extreme energy grind should be fine as well. mid 400hp's shouldnt be hard to obtain.