Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to Tighten up a Muffler ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Tighten up a Muffler ??

Pretty basic question, huh ? I posted this in the exhaust board also, but just to get more answers, I'll post here too.I just failed inspection because the muffler is loose on the intermediate pipe, and you can rotate the muffler on the intermediate pipe, even though the clamp is nice and tight. It looks like the muffler opening is a little too big for the pipe going into it. Is there some sort of shim I can put in there ?? Should I go to an exhaust shop and have them expand the pipe slightly ? Tighten the heck out of the clamp and hope it doesn't break the muffler ?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2001, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it to the exhaust shop. they can weld in a piece that will adapt the 2 pieces together.

------------------
'86 IROC 5-speed
305 LG4
edelbrock performer rpm intake
edelbrock 600 cfm carb
msd pro billet hei distributer
'95 3.23 rearend
hotchkis rear suspension
PST front polygraphite suspension
Old 08-30-2001, 10:01 AM

Thanks. I'll try that.

------------------
88 GTA 5.7 TPI Charcoal Grey Bone Stock except for loose muffler which makes it a bit louder than normal.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
It sounds to me like you need a new muffler. If the clamp to I pipe is tight and the miffler turns, then the muffler inlet sounds like it has ceased being part of the muffler. This is how EVERY stock style muffler i have ever had has failed. That little stub that the I pipe slides into simply rots it's welds and allows the muffler case to rotate around it.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:15 PM

Ed, No, the clamp is tight on the muffler pipe, not on the I pipe. The I pipe goes into the muffler pipe, and there is too much clearance. Maybe if I keep tightening up the clamp on the muffler pipe it will squeeze it down tight onto the I pipe, but I am afraid it will break the muffler pipe. Is the muffler pipe supposed to be 'crushable' somewhat ? This is muffler 101 stuff, I know...

------------------
88 GTA 5.7 TPI Charcoal Grey Bone Stock except for loose muffler which makes it a bit louder than normal.