Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001 | 10:28 AM

hesitation

I have noticed lately that my ’91 Formula 350 will hesitate or stumble while I am driving down the highway. It will be rolling along at 75 or so and then it just stumbles or hesitates they recovers all in a few seconds. I can’t pin point it to any one thing (i.e. A/C or engine speed) it seems to do it through a range of speeds. Also when I take off from a stoplight or stop sign, the car will hesitate when I push on the accelerator and then surge ahead when it quits hesitating. It nearly breaks the tires loose with it finally goes. If you at least have a rolling start it’s not so bad. Has anyone else experience these problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001 | 07:24 PM

You said while you are going down the high way, is it jus cruisin', maybe it has to do with when you hit a bump you got a spark plug wire grounding or the fuel pump wire shorting, or something only occasional like that. I had a 96 S10, bought it brand new got it with 4 miles, when I would rev the engine, (the engine twisted far enough) the main computer would blow a fuse. Well come to find out the factory had put a wire on incorrectly and it would pull and short and blow the fuse. That was after 3 weeks of the dealership searching.

so think about what the "hesitation" feeling sort of feels like and trace it there. I guess.

OK like when your gas tank is low and you turn the corner HARD the fuel sloshes and the engine "hesitates" but then the car keeps going. Somehting like that.

Or, I had a spark plug wire pull out of the boot and it idled kind of funny but nothing big, but only when I gunned it would, well obviously it missed.

Just drive and search. Maybe try to keep the radio off, and the window up, or down, depending on when you might be able to hear somehting. Drive along a wall, like a bridge barrier, you might b able to hear a noise bounce from under the car against the wall. Who knows, GOOD LUCK

And if This all goes out the other side, oh well I get another post on my count.
Old 08-29-2001 | 09:34 PM

My car had a problem like this earlier this summer, I finally just took it to the shop and it turned out to be a leaky fuel pressure regulator. The only other thing I can think of is that it could be your fuel pump. My car also hesitated severely when that went out also. Good Luck!

------------------
88 Iroc, 305 TPI, Hypertech chip, K&N's, Airfoil, Flowmaster American Thunder, High-Flow cat, 160 therm. Bosch Platinum +4's, American Racing Rims, air baffles removed, removed screens from MAF sensor, more mods soon.
"There is no such thing as fast enough"