Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

a question about a possibly failing alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001 | 09:34 AM

a question about a possibly failing alternator

Yesterday I was driving around on the highway and I noticed that my gauge for the battery was not quite as high as it had used to be. It was reading exactly 13 when I was moving, although occasionally it would move up a bit, if I really pounded on it. When I would come to a stop the car would begin to idle real low and the gauge would drop below 13 and I only saw it do this once, but the temperature gauge dropped with it. As soon as I started moving again, the temp went back to normal and the alternator was at 13 again. So my question is: Is my alternator failing, even though it checked out fine about a month ago, or is it possible that whatever is controlling my gauges is messed up? On a side note, I don't have a volt meter or many other tools to work on my car, but I am running out of money, so I was hoping this would be something I could do myself for cheap and in the middle of the road.

------------------
1984 Z28 Camaro
Mods: 350 ci built by Ultimate Performance Inc, 4 bbl Quadrajet rebuilt by Holley, 700R4 Rebuilt by Level 10, Hyptertech chip Stage 2, K+N air filter, Edelbrock TES exhaust manifold, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.73 Richmond gears, Auburn Posi Limited Slip Differential, KYB Shocks and Struts, Edelbrock Panhard Bar, Trailing Arms, and Strut Tower Brace, TRW Springs, 245/50/R16 Embassy Tires(Yeah, I have no more money.)
Future Mods: Paint!
Old 08-28-2001 | 01:10 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 385ci LT1 cnc ported heads big cam
Transmission: 4L60E automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Zexel posi 7.5" rear
It sounds ok but to verify take it the car to just about any autoparts store and they can hook a tester up to car for you and test alternator output. I have never had any of them charge me for doing it.

------------------
91 Camaro RS 5.0L Black Convertible 700R4
** Added so far **
*GM Wonderbar,Alston SFC's,spohn LCA's and Panhard rod
*Turbo City Inj Spacer
*Dual Snorkel Air Filter
*March Performance Pulleys
*GM 3.42 Gears with OEM Zexel POSI
*Edelbrock headers
*3" High Flow Cat
*3" Dynomax Exhaust
*Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump
***Future 330hp Vortec Crate with LT4 hotcam and 454 TBI
Old 08-28-2001 | 01:49 PM

Thanks. I'll try to make it to the store this weekend.

------------------
1984 Z28 Camaro
Mods: 350 ci built by Ultimate Performance Inc, 4 bbl Quadrajet rebuilt by Holley, 700R4 Rebuilt by Level 10, Hyptertech chip Stage 2, K+N air filter, Edelbrock TES exhaust manifold, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.73 Richmond gears, Auburn Posi Limited Slip Differential, KYB Shocks and Struts, Edelbrock Panhard Bar, Trailing Arms, and Strut Tower Brace, TRW Springs, 245/50/R16 Embassy Tires(Yeah, I have no more money.)
Old 08-28-2001 | 01:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by watchmesuck:
When I would come to a stop the car would begin to idle real low and the gauge would drop below 13 and I only saw it do this once, but the temperature gauge dropped with it. As soon as I started moving again, the temp went back to normal and the alternator was at 13 again. </font>
Just to make sure. The above is completely normal? I only ask because this is the first time I have noticed it.

------------------
1984 Z28 Camaro

[This message has been edited by watchmesuck (edited August 28, 2001).]
Old 08-29-2001 | 12:28 PM

Anyone? Please help...

------------------
1984 Z28 Camaro
Old 08-29-2001 | 03:57 PM

Having it tested is best...but...for a quick self test...turn on every electric accessory you can...radio,a/c,headlights,defroster(good one),fog lamps...etc... then watch your guage...if you still get 12+ you are probably OK. Better yet...if you have a multimeter...check right on the alternator itself...ground to the case and + to the large terminal on the back.

Good Luck

------------------
There is no substitution for cubic inches!