Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

how do you adjust the timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 formula
Engine: 93' LT1 Swap in progress..
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
how do you adjust the timing?

well I want to adjust my timing to make more power on 90 octane since 90 octane’s cheapest in Iowa but I’m not really sure how you adjust the timing and I need some advice on how to do it also will I need a timing light? I was also wondering if any one knew what the stock timing is and how many degrees I can advance it for 90 octane.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
The timing tab is mounted to the timing chain cover, right behind the water pump. If it isn't there, then it's either been removed or fell off, or someone's changed the timing chain cover.

Disconnect the coil wire from the distributor.

Once you find the timing mark on the damper, crawl under the car and have a buddy tap the starter to rotate the engine until you see a groove on the damper that's about 1/8"-3/16" deep. Use white paint or a white crayon to fill in the groove so it's easy to see.

Hook the coil wire back to the distributor, and unhook the ESC connector. It's located near the blower motor on the passenger side firewall. It'll be the brown wire sticking out of a black wire loom. Just separate the connector and leave it sit.

Attach the red connector to the positive ("+" or red) terminal on the battery, and the black connector to the negative ("-" or black) on the battery.

Hook up the timing light using the inductive pickup to the #1 sparkplug wire. It's the one that's on the driver's side of the engine, closest to the radiator.

Loosen the distributor hold down bolt just enough that it takes a little effort to be able to rotate the distributor either clockwise or counter clockwise.

Start the engine and aim the timing gun straight down between the water pump and the engine block. Look for the groove in the damper.

A stock LO3 should be set at 0* BTDC. The groove should be lined up to the first "V" on the timing tab (the one closest to the driver's side). If not, rotate the distributor one way or the other until it is. At this point ignore the other "V' grooves.

Turn the engine off and tighten the dist. hold down bolt. Start the car and check the timing again to be sure the dist. didn't move while you were tightening the hold-down bolt. If so, correct it.

Once you're done, turn off the car and hook the ESC wire back together. Take it for a drive and see if that feels better.

When using a timing gun with a dial, only use the first “V” groove on the timing tab. If the timing mark on the balancer doesn’t line up with the “V” groove on the timing tab, rotate the dial on the back of the gun until it does. Whatever number the dial is pointing to is where the advance is set BTDC.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 AM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 305 ci v8 LO3
Transmission: WC T5
ive never used a timing light before and it may sound kind of stupid but i dont really get it. I can understand turning the distributor and marking the white line on the dampner and i can see my timing tab and the degrees. But what i dont get is how to actually tell. Does the timing light just have to see the white line or does it have to be lined up somewhere. Pretty much what im asking is how can you tell where it is lined up and what degree it is at. Any help please.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:27 PM

Car: 83 Z28, 84 Z28
Engine: 5.0 Cross Fire, 5.0 H.O.
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto, 5 Speed Manual
there is a pre-set line on the balancer from the factory, the timing light is like a strobe light, when it flashes, it makes the balancer look like it is not moving at all, so all you have to do is see where the line is on the tab, and adjust it to the correct mark.