Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Condensation leaking onto passenger compartment floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Condensation leaking onto passenger compartment floorboard

I just posted this message on the Body & Interior link, but wanted to post here as well for maximum exposure.

Last summer, I had my evaporator core replaced. Sure made a great difference in how well my A/C works. I drive my car daily, usually around 25 to 30 miles a day. This summer, I took some longer than usual trips, this summer and afterwards, I noticed a pool of condensation from my evaporator core lying in the sunken portion of the floorboard on the passenger side. I took it back to the shop that installed it and they completely took it apart and determined that they had failed to replace some sort of screen material on the side of the evaporator core. That was a few weeks ago. Well yesterday I took it on a longer than normal trip and the water is back. I took the kick panel off and saw that water was dripping along the seam of the box that covers the heater core. I took it off and made sure that it was installed correctly, but it continues to leak. There is a significant amount of condensation dripping underneath the car, but it doesn't seem like it is able to keep up with the amount of condensation being produced. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Does anyone have a blow up diagram that shows the evaporator core and what is supposed to be in there with it, if anything? Thanks for any assistance I can get.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:57 AM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Clewis,

My first suggestion would be to make sure the drain hole under the evaporator case is completely clear of debris. Grass clippings, leaves, seeds, feathers, insects, and all manner of junk can find it's way in there and restrict the drainage of condensate.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Get UP - Drop the bombshell!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 08-25-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Vader,

The first thing the shop checked for was some sort of obstruction there, but didn't find anything that was getting in the way. I guess when they found that to be okay they started looking at whether or not something had been left off and according to the information they obtained, there should have been some sort of screen in there to help prevent this. In reading my Chilton, on replacing the evaporator core, it mentions to retain the foam wedge and then insert with evaporator core when replacing. I don't know if this is what they were referring to by the "screen" or what. I will be calling on Monday to find out. Thanks for the reply. Any other ideas?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vader:
Clewis,

My first suggestion would be to make sure the drain hole under the evaporator case is completely clear of debris. Grass clippings, leaves, seeds, feathers, insects, and all manner of junk can find it's way in there and restrict the drainage of condensate.

</font>
Old 08-26-2001, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
[QUOTE]Originally posted by clewis:
[B]I just posted this message on the Body & Interior link, but wanted to post here as well for maximum exposure.

I took the kick panel off and saw that water was dripping along the seam of the box that covers the heater core.

I just had to do the same thing to my moms car about a month ago. The seam on the box was leaking. I took it off and put RTV Silicone on the seam. I had to let the car dry out with box fans for three days. Boy did it stink. I took the seats out and pulled the carpet back to let it dry.

It's fixed now and doesn't leak. Any silicone should work. Even caulking.