Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Shorted IAC????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorted IAC????

Help!!! I just cleaned my IAC with carburator cleaner. I tried avoiding the electrical connector from getting wet but it seems that cleaner was getting through the cennector from the inside of the IAC as I spray on it....Woud this shorten my IAC? I dont want to install it back then find out that I fried my ECM because of a shorted IAC...pls Help!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 12:39 PM

If you're that concerned about it, you can run without an IAC for a while.. Until you can get a new one, anyways. Just bump up the idle (with the IAC, normal idle is around 750, without it it's about 450), and don't forget that it'll be easier to stall the engine.

------------------
89 iroc-z 305 tbi
k&n filtercharger, open element air filter. nuffin' else
Old 08-25-2001, 01:01 PM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
I don't see why it would cause a problem after the carb cleaner is dried up. But after you plug it in you can check the
computer's end with a test light. While the car is running unplug the IAC and touch a grounded testlight to each of the four terminals, one by one. The light should slowly cycle on and off for each of the connectors. That way you know the computer is controlling the IAC and isn't fried. Enkil is right, you can run without the IAC plugged into the computer, but it has to be installed in the TB. The only problem is that when you turned the car off before you cleaned it, the computer sets the IAC in a wide open position so the idle will go high when you start it. Without plugging it in, the idle will not go any lower, as the computer can't move it in. So your idle will be stuck around 1500.

------------------
91 Z28
Come see The Vicious...

[This message has been edited by ViciousZ (edited August 25, 2001).]
Old 08-26-2001, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.... I didn't know that you could start the car without connecting the harnes on the IAC. I ran the car for a few minutes just to make sure that all the liquid are dried before I installed the harnes...Idle seem to be fine now but the stalling is still there while driving...
Again thanks for all the help...