Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Boils and smokes, what did I do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Boils and smokes, what did I do...

So I just added coolant (actually, 2 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of tap water until I can drive the car to work and do a coolant flush and put extended life in there), started the car up and since I had coolant in there now I decided to let it run for a little bit longer than I used to (15 seconds was about all I'd run it for w/o it before).

But now after about 15 - 20 seconds with the car on there's steam coming from the heads (or headers, I cant tell just yet). And when I turn the car off I can hear boiling inside the block, or atleast I THINK I hear boiling inside the block.

I have SLP 1 5/8" headers, but they are not ceramic coated... would it still make that metal contracting/detracting sound like my stock manifolds made after warming up for about 40 seconds?

After the 40 seconds the motor is surprisingly hot. Just barely too hot to touch the manifolds.

I got this motor from someone else, and they didnt say what exactly was IN the car. They built the motor a little bit though, that I do know. It doesnt sound too cam'd, and I wouldnt be able to even take a guess at compression ratio.

What I'm wondering is what your all takes on the steam is, and if I can hear a boiling sound from the block, what you might think is causing it? An air bubble perhaps?

Also, I have 9 month old 89 octane gas in the car, (no octane additive or preservatives)... would it have built up enough condensation in the motor to make it seem like it's burning off coolant? Would that make it run hotter as well?

Thanks in advanced, this is the only thing holding me back from driving the car finally
Old 05-23-2005, 06:22 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Your headers will get hot very quickly, especially if not coated. Also, the cooling system may have air pockets from the refill.

Start it with no radiator cap, allow it to warm up. Once the thermostat opens, you should see a change in coolant level. Top off the coolant level and install the cap.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Vader, just what I wanted to hear

Any idea on the steam? Think it could just be the old gas? I've never had any experience with running on old gas before so I dont know what to expect.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:58 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
5 gallons of fluid sounds like waaay too much. Check and make sure your oils not turning milky.. and also make sure the coolant level isnt dropping. You may have something cracked or a bad gasket.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the idea. I need to get a dipstick tube anyhow lol.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Well I went and ordered a dipstick tube and stick from the chevy dealership, it should be here by tommorow.

So I decided to put trans fluid in the tranny and see what happens.

I ran it through the gears and got it to about the right line, and decided to see if it would drive... it did! YAY

I'm sure I have a vacuum leak or something though, cuz the idle is way too high. I let my foot off the brake and sucker wants to GO, and go NOW lol.

I havent had any more run ins with that huge of steam though. I was looking around, and it looks like one of my spark plugs is being burned by the headers, and that's where the steam is coming from on that side... burning plastic, yay.

The other side I re-arranged the plug wires too, and there's magically no steam there anymore either.

What exactly causes an electrical fire? Is it just the lack of a ground? Or a short or chaffe in a wire that slowly melts the insulation?

This is my next worry lol.