Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Harmonic Balancer Vibration Problem/Recommendations helpful

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: YTG Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH-350
Harmonic Balancer Vibration Problem/Recommendations helpful

I have had an engine vibration for a long time. I have replaced the rims and tires because of a bent rim, straightened and balanced the drive shaft, and have swapped the torque converter and flex plate.

The vibration is RPM dependent for sure, you can still feel it with the torque converter unbolted although less pronounced. The vibration has gotten worse lately but I believe it is because I have also added a PU trans mount with the Spohn Torque Arm. I think this making everything stiffer therefor it only feels worse.

The harmonic balancer is original or old and I would like to replace it. My thoughts are that it is damaged or worn and no longer functional. Some of the aftermarket ones in Summit look like they are good for racing applications. I don't need anything that fancy for my car it is mainly a street car. But my motto all along has been to fix better than stock.

Is there a good aftermarket balancer (preferably polished or anti-corrosion) available for a small block? Also, am I headed down the right path to fix the issue?

------------------
'84 Camaro w/ Large Jouranl 327 bored .030 over; 3.73 geared Auburn Limited Slip Diff. FlowMaster Muffler w/ Shortie Headers. TH-350 Built Trany Underneath B Mega-Shifter. Many Engine compartment Dress Up Mods. Edelbrock High Flow Water Pump w/ Flex-a-Lite Cooling Fan.
Work in progress is Sponh Torque Arm just installed working towards 2400 stall convertor. www.chartermi.net~brodgers
Old 08-22-2001, 04:40 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are quite a few aftermarket dampners, look in jegs or summit catalogs for a pic and idea of what's avaiable.

------------------
ICON Motorsports
1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Old 08-23-2001, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: YTG Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH-350
I realize their are several other ones on the market. I know that the OEM design is rubber and some of the aftermarket are silicone fluid. I want to know if the advertised benefit is worth the extra $100. Also is there a chance that this change will fix the problem?

------------------
'84 Camaro w/ Large Jouranl 327 bored .030 over; 3.73 geared Auburn Limited Slip Diff. FlowMaster Muffler w/ Shortie Headers. TH-350 Built Trany Underneath B Mega-Shifter. Many Engine compartment Dress Up Mods. Edelbrock High Flow Water Pump w/ Flex-a-Lite Cooling Fan.
Work in progress is Sponh Torque Arm just installed working towards 2400 stall convertor. www.chartermi.net~brodgers

[This message has been edited by brockrodgers (edited August 23, 2001).]