Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine dies when shifting into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine dies when shifting into reverse

Hi Folks,

Got a 1988 trans am with a later built 5.7 liter engine. When the car is warmed up it idles in drive at 600 RPM. When you shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive the egine sometimes dies.

Orginally the engine was giving out codes 32 and 43. The 32 was caused by a bad PVC gasket, the car was surging at that time. With the gasket changed it idles smoothly (+/- 15 rpm) at 600 rpm.

The error code 43 turned out to be a bad hose that was loose. Replacing it cured the error 43 code. Now what do I do?

Someone suggested that I keep looking for bad hoses others suggested a clogged filter (fuel?), others say a bad sensor. With no error codes what do I do first. The car has new wires, cap, alt, battery, water pump, O2 senor, fuel relay, new heads, egr valve, ignition coil, module 110331, new distributor, ignition module, second O2 sensor.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Hi folks,

Anybody got any ideas of what my next step is in solving this problem or has this car got an unsolveable problem.

Thanks

Del
Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
How's your vacuum readings at idle? Do they fluctuate at all? Have you gone over the EGR system to double check? Checked timing? Have you driven it any length of time since resetting the computer?

What do you mean by 'new second O2 sensor'? We only have 1.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Red Devil,

Thanks for replying.

Concerning the second O2 sensor, I meant to say that the former owner replaced the valve twice. The vacumn under idle is steady. The EGR Valve was replaced by the former owner and all the hoses are tight, no leaks. The timing is on the money.

The car has been driven for several days and no error codes have come up. A transmission place checked the tranie and it's okay. They too did not bring up any codes.

One thing comes to mind. Some of the vacumn hoses are rather long and the former owner instead of cutting them to length he doubled them over. Thus a hose that only needed to be 6-8 inches long is over 2 feet in length.

Can this be causing the problem or are we looking at a bad sensor, etc.

Thanks.

Del
Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Car: '91 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 4-bolt 350 TBI w/ Holley ProJection
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 10bolt
Originally posted by HizHiNess
Red Devil,

Thanks for replying.

Concerning the second O2 sensor, I meant to say that the former owner replaced the valve twice. The vacumn under idle is steady. The EGR Valve was replaced by the former owner and all the hoses are tight, no leaks. The timing is on the money.

The car has been driven for several days and no error codes have come up. A transmission place checked the tranie and it's okay. They too did not bring up any codes.

One thing comes to mind. Some of the vacumn hoses are rather long and the former owner instead of cutting them to length he doubled them over. Thus a hose that only needed to be 6-8 inches long is over 2 feet in length.

Can this be causing the problem or are we looking at a bad sensor, etc.

Thanks.

Del
The hoses could be causing some problems, not enough vacuum signal, or something related.

Not sure how the GM electrical system is wired, but on VWs, the reverse lights are connected straight to the secondary coil windings. If it's the same on our American iron, that could be causing it to die. I'm pretty sure it isnt wired like that on GM stuff, but worth a shot anyway, right?