Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

EGR hoses and vacuums, I need to know where they go

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR hoses and vacuums, I need to know where they go

I have this problem. My EGR vacuum solenoid has a boken end on it. The other end of the line is not present to plug it in at all. In fact, the line that connects below it (on those metal prong things) is not present either. I cannot find them.

I think my vacuum lines are all criss crossed. I need to find a close up shot of someone's map sensor or their EGR vacuum solenoid, or a vacuum diagram, or SOMETHING so that I can figure out what is supposed to be plugged in and where.

I have a 1992 350 TPI Formula.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 08-12-2001, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-R4
One hose goes from the bigger hole on the solenoid to the egr itself. The other goes from the smaller hole on the solenoid, runs under the plenum and connects to fitting under the throttle body. Hopefully that's all you need to know. But if you have more hoses messed up, just look on the back of the plenum near the egr solenoid and there will be two fittings for vacuum hoses. I think there's not really any difference between them. One fitting is for the fpr, and just gets a small hose to connect the two. The other is for everything else. All the other vacuum lines in that vicinity should connect to a t-fitting, then to a check valve, then into the other plenum fitting next to the fpr fitting.

As for replacing the egr plastic hoses, there's a few companies online that make that nylon hose (and it's dirt dirt cheap), but be careful when ordering about whether they're referring to inside or outside diameter. I ended up ordering the wrong stuff, but used rubber vacuum hose (like for washer fluid) and some pieces of the broken egr hose to fab it up. If things don't fit just right use electric tape or something to make the hose snug in the solenoid - it's working for me. Or you could fork over an ungodly sum to a dealer to get a replacement egr hose kit.

[This message has been edited by I ROCK (edited August 12, 2001).]