Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

should i pay $835 to get my '84 T/A out of impound???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
should i pay $835 to get my '84 T/A out of impound???

this is my car that was stolen in washington d.c. , it has a new L69 engine longblock,3.73 posi rear,4-wheel disc brakes w/carbon pads,hotchkis rear lcas & pan-hard rod,eibach pro-kit,pst frontend rebuild kit,b&m mega shifter,three new 245/16/50 khumo ectsa tires (one front wheel was stolen),kyb gr-2 struts & shocks,these are all the new parts. it also has headmen shorty headers,hi-flow cat,borla cat back, I hate too drop $835 ($400 for the recovery from VA,$435 to those f---ing thieves at the city impound in d.c.!!) but just writing this out makes it seem logical too retrieve my car and keep it out of the hands of those jerk-offs that will auction it off to some loser that has no apreaciation for a well preserved f-body!! plus it's my car....I should have spent $835 on lowjack and a good security sytem. it's missing the carb,a front wheel,dash pad,shift handle and all locks have been broken,so it will probably be a parts car or a weekend race car for me now.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:11 PM

Good Plan keeping it .... and if the cost is pissing you off just think, a few adds on this site and the car will be sold for parts and you will have cash to spare for another 3rd gen. (ps weekend racer sounds good to and you can drive on three wheels atleast my brother tried it in his VW rabbit on the highway )

------------------
1989 GTA 350 TPI
Stock:
- T-tops
- Dual cats
- 9-Bolt 7.75" Rearend
- 3.27 gears
Mods:
- Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler

1992 RS 305 TBI - Sold

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited August 08, 2001).]
Old 08-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
thanks for the support,I'm feeling very angry with the world right now,so at least I'm less of a sucker if I bail my car out,it's surely worth well over $835 as a parts car.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:56 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA Hardtop.
Engine: ZZ4 - 350
Transmission: Garbage
Keep the car man, it might not be that bad.
Later
Mike

------------------
Check out My Car Pics http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...667&a=13599419

Gran Turismo Americano "The Ultimate Firebird"
Smokin 1989 GTA- Bone stock except for exhaust. (no catalytic-stainless pipe into Flowmaster 2 chamber) & AC Delco Rapid Fire Plugs
Old 08-08-2001, 08:21 PM

I do not understand why you have to pay to get your car out. It was stolen why are you paying to get it out of the impound. Can you shed some light on this for me.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:33 PM

I agree, wtf is up with that? Your car got stolen (because the cops dont do their job) and you have to PAY THEM to get it back?

This damn country is going to hell.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:00 PM

I'd grab a sawzall, bolt cutters, and your favorite pistol and take that SOB back in the middle of the night . Does insurance not cover those fees?

------------------
1990 IROC 350
Mods: Too busy trying to make it run right to mod it.
Airfoil, Dynomax cat-back, MSD coil, 180 t-stat, Bald Eagle tires,
Hypertech fan switch, Accel 23# injectors, Holley AFPR, ported plenum,
Ported Daytona Yellow stock base, Moroso valve covers, other stuff,
Ruger P95DC, hot wife, new oil filter, thick rubber floormats, no cats.
18.0 @ 85MPH since I'm one big-a$$ MF
"It's better to have and not need than to need and not have."
Old 08-08-2001, 11:26 PM

Hmm.. can you get arrested for stealing your own car?

Jon

------------------
89 GTA
Beautiful Gunmetal gray, LB9 305 and T5 tranny. Only 60,000 miles!
Dual cats, 3"flomaster
Accel 300+ Ignition, wires, cap, coil, etc
Airfoil
KN Airfilter
Removed Screens on MAF
SLP 1 3/4 headers
No Smog/AIR system
Old 08-09-2001, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Yeah, that's definately screwed up... look for a laywer, maybe for $400 he'll get your car back for free. I'd rather give the laywer $400 than the impound guys.

I don't understand why they're charging you, either. Did they recover the car a year ago, and you haven't picked it up, and they started charging you storage fees? What's with the $400 recovery- are they charging you for finding it?

Besides, where the hell could you get a car with a new L69 longblock for $835??

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 08-09-2001, 09:30 AM

Ya dude get your car back then right a lot of really pissed off letters to your elected officials.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:50 AM

Did they catch the guy that stoled it, if so have them pick up the tab + pay to get it fixed. If they were mabbed by the cops?
Old 08-09-2001, 10:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The reason you have to pay, is the same reason you have to pay to, say, use a public golf course. It's a service the gov't. provides, that costs money to provide, that somebody has to pay for. So who do you have in mind to pay for the costs involved with taking care of your car for you? The taxpayers in general? Somebody has to pay, and it's only reasonable that it be the user of the service. Of course you might not think that towing your car somewhere and keeping it until you fork over $$$$ is much of a service, and you might think the price they charge is exorbitant (and maybe it is); but consider the alternatives. Should they just leave your trashed and disabled car sitting on some road somewhere after they come across it? Should they just release it to anybody that walks up and says they want it? Consider the alternatives before you get an attitude.

People who steal cars IMHO should be hanged on the spot when caught, just like they used to do to horse thieves. Nowadays we're too concerned about the "rights" of a criminal and nowhere near concerned enough about the rights of law-abiding citizens for that, which is a shame.

Your insurance should pay all those costs, and of course to repair the car as well, if (big if) you are paying them for that coverage. Again, insurance isn't like some nebulous money pool that you can just dip into at will, anymore than the public ("government") budget is; think of it as a "mutual fund" that all of that company's customers contribute to, such that there's enough money in there to pay for what happens to the members. If claims go up, so must premiums. The money has to come from somewhere before it can go to somewhere else.

That said, I'm sorry to hear that it happened. I'd be ready to extract some revenge if it happened to me and I could find who did it. It would be really great if they caught the thief and as part of his "rehabilitation", he/she/they had to pay for all the damage and other expenses that the theft caused. There would be a whole lot less car thefts if that was done. Unfortunately I have never heard of htis being done anywhere in this country; they just slap their wrist, give them 3 square meals a day for a few days, then turn them loose to do it again.

But save your anger for the thief, not for the gov't agency that's actually helping you out, even if they are putting their kids through college at your expense in the process. That's what we have elections for.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports