Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cam wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005 | 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Only a daily driver, but comin home
Engine: I have one that runs ;)
Transmission: Caged hamster that runs really fast
Axle/Gears: They are round, I know that much
Cam wont fit

Ok ladies and gents, heres my problem.

I am in the midst of putting together an 89 Chevy 350(.030 over, 11:1 comp, yadda yadda) and i purchased a Crane Cam Energizer series cam(.500" lift, 302 advertised, and 242 @ .050), the cam fits in the block, but when i go to attach the retaining plate the timing gear wont fit, and it rubs, and the lobes inside the block are way off center. I have talked to a couple buddies of mine and none have run across this problem, i called Jegs(who i bought it from) and the guy said that i would need a roller cam, which i currently have a hydraulic cam. the block is from a 89 truck(like a blazer or something) the casting number on the block is 14093638, which is a 4 bolt main, and can use either a roller or flat tappet cam. and if i just dont use the retainer the timing chain wont be straight. So what do i do?? is there a bearing type spacer i can put it so the timing chain will line up and i then use a cam button instead of the retainer? or can i just get a roller cam/lifter set? Does the roller cam set up require anything more than the "8" shaped brackets that keep the cam from spinning? or should i just put the old cam back in with new lifters? help me before i cry
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
If this is a flat-tappet cam (sounds like it, with so little lift), you can't use the retainer plate. You don't need it anyway.

Leave the retainer plate out and use a regular 3100 series timing set.

If it's a "retrofit" roller, use the regular set, and a cam button.

If it's a "factory" roller, it should use the retainer plate.
Old 04-05-2005 | 12:35 AM
Supreme Member

you are right, it is a flat tappet cam, sorry if i misled you, now do you recommend a certain brand for the timing chain, and should i use a cam button too? thanks a mil, i have no need to cry now
Old 04-05-2005 | 12:58 AM

No You dont need a cam button. You only need a cam button when doing a roller cam since the lobes on a roller cam are ground flat unlike a Flat tappet which are tapered. So in order to keep the cam from walking you use a cam button...etc. Unless its a factory roller block then you use the retaining plate.

Comp, Crane..etc make good Timing Chains
Old 04-05-2005 | 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

now, just for my own knowledge, when you mean ground flat do you mean the way the lifter travels on the lobe, or do you mean a "side to side" look at the cam, like it is shorter to the front of the engine and taller at the back(or vise versa, which ever way it goes), i am curious and trying to picture this in my head and for future knowledge.