Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Washed my car... Now the idle sucks, Some one please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Washed my car... Now the idle sucks, Some one please help!!

This may sound a little strange...
I went to the car wash yesterday and as I was washing the car the thought crossed my mind, how bad is it to get water down the hood scoop? the carb air cleaner is just down there and what might happen if that got a considerable amount of water on it? Well the car up just fine when I was done (as I expected)... I drove the car home, went to shut it down and it wouldn't quit, it just spit and sputtered for about 20 seconds and finally died, I heard the sound of sizzling water and a funny smell happened across my nose. There was no drop in oil pressure or rise above normal temp. The car acts like its got a real high idle combined with the characteristics of a dropped cylinder (high vibration at idle), I have no idea where to start trouble shooting... There are no oil spots, no smoke or steam coming from under the hood. Does it need a tune up? Is it all a coincidence?

Thanks in advance

------------------
1984 Firebird T/A - Daily driver
305 LG4, T5 - Hurst Short Shifter
Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer Carb
Open Element Air Filter
Gutted Cat... missing stuff I'll need next year
IROC 16x8 Wheels
Goodyear P215/60/R16 87S - S stands for suck
(but I'm a cheap *** and I don't go 112... don't think I do...)
Quote from my sister: "It sounds like a boat"
Old 07-20-2001, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Sounds to me like water in the distributor or in a plug wire boot... it will probably dry out by itself in a day or less.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 07-23-2001, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Ok, I monkeyed around all saturday with the distributer... no water in it, I filed off corrosion then crossed ignition wires accidentally... damn ignition kept backfiring and I really scared myself, I finally figured out the ignition was crossed so I put it back how it was and I have the same rough idle that was there before... it runs smooth then rough and the RPM's go from 800 to 1100 while it sits there... I really don't know what to think... could water mess up the timing or would it have to be a coincidence that the timing is off now?

What else could it be? Water should have evaporated in the last 4 days... I also tinkered with the idle mixture and all that did is drop the idle to near stall, the main issue is that whether it idles at 600 or 900, there is still a rough spot at around 1000 and nowhere else... Oh well, hope I've described it well enough to get a good answer